Clutch switch problem

Chinook

Standard Bore
Ride
R3 GT
Bike, 2020gt with 10grand, threw an engine code. Was running rough, and would quit coming to a light. Dealer diagnosis said it was clutch switch, which apparently causes the brain to need lobotomization. The clutch switch is located under the clutch lever and is vulnerable to damage from stray rocks and such. Replaced it and all's well now but the switch is not robust so needs to be beefed up, moved to a safer location or have a shroud installed around it

Bike, 2020gt with 10grand, threw an engine code. Was running rough, and would quit coming to a light. Dealer diagnosis said it was clutch switch, which apparently causes the brain to need lobotomization. The clutch switch is located under the clutch lever and is vulnerable to damage from stray rocks and such. Replaced it and all's well now but the switch is not robust so needs to be beefed up, moved to a safer location or have a shroud installed around it
My 2020 GT had the same problem.. It would start 90% of the time, and then nothing. That switch is very flimsy and bends easily.
Really a poor design.

I too am having issues with this POS switch.
Bike now thinks the clutch lever is in all the time, because the metal tab on the switch is no longer pushing hard enough on the button.

How it is meant to work:
The button is depressed when the lever is out, and when you pull the lever, the metal tab is bent out, thus releasing the button.

The tab is just a cheap thin piece of nothing and so now it’s constantly out of alignment.
Bend it back, good for a day or so, then it’s stuffed again.

The upshot is the bike is permanently throwing “check engine” warnings, and needs to be cleared with an ODBII reader. Until it faults again.
While it is in fault condition, some functions are disabled, like hill brakes.

Doing my head in!

I too am having issues with this POS switch.
Bike now thinks the clutch lever is in all the time, because the metal tab on the switch is no longer pushing hard enough on the button.

How it is meant to work:
The button is depressed when the lever is out, and when you pull the lever, the metal tab is bent out, thus releasing the button.

The tab is just a cheap thin piece of nothing and so now it’s constantly out of alignment.
Bend it back, good for a day or so, then it’s stuffed again.

The upshot is the bike is permanently throwing “check engine” warnings, and needs to be cleared with an ODBII reader. Until it faults again.
While it is in fault condition, some functions are disabled, like hill brakes.

Doing my head in!
Caught my cleaning cloth on that flimsy sharp piece of metal and almost ripped it off wiping my bike down. That switch is a complete after though by Triumph.
Spent an hour trying to figure out my bike wouldnt start after washing it.. Have to be careful now that my drying cloth doesnt snag it again and rip it off next time.

Caught my cleaning cloth on that flimsy sharp piece of metal and almost ripped it off wiping my bike down. That switch is a complete after though by Triumph.
Spent an hour trying to figure out my bike wouldnt start after washing it.. Have to be careful now that my drying cloth doesnt snag it again and rip it off next time.
Have just been reading through a few other threads on this.
On older rockets, shorted out clutch switch will cause fuel gauge not to work.
Mine just stopped working!
Also someone else said their new R3 was running rough and sometimes stalls when this clutch error is happening. Mine stallled twice on the weekend!
Far out, it’s all linked.
All because of a 20c switch.

I have my 2020 in for its 20K service and I am having the dealer replace the clutch switch as it keeps loosening and causing the aforementioned starting issue. Definitely agree that this much too flimsy on an otherwise solidly built bike.

This happened to me last night on a 2022, with 1600 miles on it. The clutch switch looks like something that was rigged up in a back street Mumbai motorcycle shop, so disappointing. Glad I caught it today. I tightened the two screws and ran 200 miles without issue.

Back