clutch slipping 2005 R3

xprez

Standard Bore
I have a 2005 R3 with 35,000mi's...I just started to notice the clutch slipping in every gear as I accelerate...is there an adjustment that can be made or what am I looking at to have this repaired...thanks...xprez

ps. my ROCKET has been converted to a trike

I have a 2005 R3 with 35,000mi's...I just started to notice the clutch slipping in every gear as I accelerate...is there an adjustment that can be made or what am I looking at to have this repaired...thanks...xprez

ps. my ROCKET has been converted to a trike

What kind of oil are you running ? Automotive oils have additives in them that will make a "wet" motorcycle clutch slip.

At the lower barrel (where the clutch cable actuates the clutch arm) loosen that 1/2 turn and see if it still slips. Adjust the upper clutch perch 2mm per the manual. If the clutch still slips you need new clutch rings (fibers are gone).

Are you by chance using an aftermarket "Adjustable" clutch lever? It seems odd to me that the clutch would be slipping equally in all gears...typically a clutch under normal wear slips first under hard acceleration in 5th gear (due to the 1-1 gear ratio) and progressively get worse and begins to show in lower and lower gears. This seems like an adjustment issue....but could become (or maybe has become) a wear issue due to improper adjustment.

Perez Atom and fairchild are right about the adjustment check it first. If there is no freeplay in the cable you could be pulling pressure of it.

you can also check the free play by not pulling on the clutch lever. To do this you just grab the outer cable sheath and pulll it out of the clutch lever and measure the gap between the aluminum end piece and where it goes into the knurled collar on the clutch lever. Which ever way is easier for you.
The key jere is freeplay so the cable is not pulling pressure of the clutch when engauged.

oil and strain

the AMSOIL is motorcycle specific 10w-40 I do not see any 4T on the label...claims to be wet clutch compatible...I am likely a little overdue for an oil change...also recently put quite strain on it trying to get toy-hauler ramp adjusted for entry...several test runs up and down ramp...

appears to be solved

thanks to all who posted...a few turns to loosen the tension in the cable, response and zip returned...it has been lagging to the point of slippage for some time, now that I feel the difference...time to pamper with an oil change and a good bath before the snow flies...thanks again!!!

By the Way Welcome to the Site:D you will find as you have today there are lots of great minds on here... and friendly too:D

Good idea is to check the amount of play down at lever where clutch enters engine, there should always be some free play there:cool:

Back