Clutch gone after 2 months......

Wow, get the butter, that is definitely toast, the entire clutch system on my 2010 touring was in really bad shape when i took it apart last week, my steels and fibres were burnt pretty good but yours are looking totally scorched.
this will be interesting to see what they determine as the cause, i have about 11,000km on my GT and it just runs like a champ, haven't had any of the issues that have seemed to come up for some people, except for the occasional stall on take off, i run it with TC turned off, and i launch it hard when necessary, (it is necessary a lot) silly kids and their ****** rockets and it just grabs and goes, the TC system can definitely use a little refinement, but it is what it is

Now that is ugly. Sure looks like the clutch was dragging for some reason. I'm curious to see the slave cylinder for the clutch release mechanism. If I was Triumph, I'd want the complete clutch system sent back including the complete hydraulic (master cylinder/slave) assembly.

I remember working as a mechanic for a GM dealership in the 70s and a cruise control system on a Chevy sedan suddenly went to full throttle at an intersection. The owner was pretty upset (and rightly so). GM had us replace everything including the actuator arm on the steering column, wiring harness, sensors, slave cylinder, linkages etc etc. Everything was sent back to GM for analysis. They had never seen it before. Anyway, from what I remember there was some kind of redesign. I wonder if this is a one off or....... I trust they will sort it out.
I had the same thing happe to me on a 1982 Camaro. It was a fairly quick beast with a built motor and transmission. Idling at a set of lights and it suddenly went to full throttle launching me across the intersection. Too exciting!!!

Now that you say Camaro, I had one Camaro V6 in 1996/97 as a rental in Hawaii - cabrio though , not even 5000 miles old.
The brake pedal fell off, just felt on the floor...
Very exhilarating, you never feel more alive than seconds before you could die 😁

I know it's sacrilegious to say on this form and as much as I love the Rocket 3 R and think it is one of the best looking bikes ever and that engine is just amazing, the longer I am without my bike, the more I am nervous about its return and what Triumph is going to say or insinuate about its reliability to be ridden hard (regardless of then promoting it like being a bat out of hell). I never had an issue with my 2012 Diavel Carbon and that was one insane intense bike which when moving to the Rocket 3 R I sacrificed (speed, cornering etc etc) for something more refined but yet still close enough to be next level crazy. I'm no hoon as I mentioned and close to 54 years of age but there are times I want to blow away gixxers as mentioned and shock guys on the twisties riding such a big beast leaving sports bikes in my dust so to speak. But just so nervous that regardless of build quality, parts etc being second to none, they have extended themselves here to match a bike like the Diavel beyond their capabilities. I hope I am wrong. I love the bike as I said. I don't want to lose it for these reasons but neither do I want to make it a project bike installing "heavy duty" racing parts just so she can perform as promoted on the street. Hopefully I did just have bad luck but the fact that Triumph seems worried has me worried.

I know it's sacrilegious to say on this form and as much as I love the Rocket 3 R and think it is one of the best looking bikes ever and that engine is just amazing, the longer I am without my bike, the more I am nervous about its return and what Triumph is going to say or insinuate about its reliability to be ridden hard (regardless of then promoting it like being a bat out of hell). I never had an issue with my 2012 Diavel Carbon and that was one insane intense bike which when moving to the Rocket 3 R I sacrificed (speed, cornering etc etc) for something more refined but yet still close enough to be next level crazy. I'm no hoon as I mentioned and close to 54 years of age but there are times I want to blow away gixxers as mentioned and shock guys on the twisties riding such a big beast leaving sports bikes in my dust so to speak. But just so nervous that regardless of build quality, parts etc being second to none, they have extended themselves here to match a bike like the Diavel beyond their capabilities. I hope I am wrong. I love the bike as I said. I don't want to lose it for these reasons but neither do I want to make it a project bike installing "heavy duty" racing parts just so she can perform as promoted on the street. Hopefully I did just have bad luck but the fact that Triumph seems worried has me worried.
The reality is that all new models go through a teething phase, only real world conditions will truly test a bike. I can tell you now, the triumph motorcycle jockeys are not the same as the normal Joe. As an example, the wear on a motorcycle that gets ridden two up most of the time, is vastly different to a motorcycle with a 80kg rider. Now add a generous amount of throttle and that wear is accelerated.
I remember being on a BMW ride on the new 1100GS when we had a bike that had gearbox casing failure, which resulted in BMW offering a strengthening mod to anyone taking their bike off road.

The reality is that all new models go through a teething phase, only real world conditions will truly test a bike. I can tell you now, the triumph motorcycle jockeys are not the same as the normal Joe. As an example, the wear on a motorcycle that gets ridden two up most of the time, is vastly different to a motorcycle with a 80kg rider. Now add a generous amount of throttle and that wear is accelerated.
I remember being on a BMW ride on the new 1100GS when we had a bike that had gearbox casing failure, which resulted in BMW offering a strengthening mod to anyone taking their bike off road.
Very true brother with a v1. Time will tell.

So for you guys who followed this story of my new Rocket 3 R, the upshot of the story is that after less than 2 months of ownership, clutch blowing up, Triumph won't replace the system under warranty. I just got the call.

So I am up for over $2000 in a new system plus labour with the risk that it happens again or I opt to install an after market heavy duty racing clutch. (New bike, less than 2 months old!)

So much for this bike being a Diavel competitor or some sort of real power bike. Not that at 54 years of age I am a hoon. I wonder if the bikes in this video survived it:

You've lost me Triumph.

So for you guys who followed this story of my new Rocket 3 R, the upshot of the story is that after less than 2 months of ownership, clutch blowing up, Triumph won't replace the system under warranty. I just got the call.

So I am up for over $2000 in a new system plus labour with the risk that it happens again or I opt to install an after market heavy duty racing clutch. (New bike, less than 2 months old!)

So much for this bike being a Diavel competitor or some sort of real power bike. Not that at 54 years of age I am a hoon. I wonder if the bikes in this video survived it:

You've lost me Triumph.
That blows man...I'd be taking it further...

How did they get your old get damaged clutch to the UK so quick as to make that call.

I would take to the web and post on every R3 web site about how poor there after sales services is.

Go to your consumer complaints watch dog too.

Also hit up the dog and lemon guide company and put it to them to do a story about shot clutch. Bad publicity is just that. Could put off quite a few buyers.

You've lost me Triumph.
I would be going higher up the ladder and rattling a few cages along the way !!!!!!

Back