Clutch gone after 2 months......

Have mercy guys this is a lot of negative energy for a fine new machine. I’m sorry for Rock Ape’s clutch problems but I’m sure most bikes are doing fine, mine is.
I fell in love with the thing after 5 minutes test ride. That engine is just sublime. Felt to me like it had so much more in it for when/if I decided on some performance mods down the track. (Won't be doing that for a while now - will follow this forum and other's experiences to see how they go first. :)). Not as quick as my old 2012 Diavel Carbon but just did things so much more refined. Plus, what a beautiful bike it is. Always someone up for a chat when I return from shops in the parking lot. Gets so much attention. As mentioned, the Rocket has always been a dream bike for me. Coming from sports bikes, the Rocket was always going to be The ("power") "cruiser" for me when I headed down that path. (The Diavel was just a different beast). Hadn't had any issues with Triumphs before. Hadn't owned any but had spent some time on the Triple, Daytonas of all eras and the Speeds but never the cruiser range - loved them all.

I miss it. On par with my old 2013 S1000RR as my favourite bike I have owned. Gone 3-4 weeks now and no word on when it will be sorted yet so been spending time on my FTR1200 and old 2001 ZX12R but just not the same. The R3 has ruined a lot of bikes for me now. :) I just hope this will now be sorted. I'd hate to decide to have to sell it but another issue quick time, and I would probably do that. I like my bikes on the road and not in the workshop.

Have mercy guys this is a lot of negative energy for a fine new machine. I’m sorry for Rock Ape’s clutch problems but I’m sure most bikes are doing fine, mine is.

That's a fair statement, I've been a bit critical about the unfortunate failure of this bike's clutch. Hopefully this is an isolated event. But to be fair all the negative energy could have been prevented if Triumph would have just honored their warranty and replaced this poor man's clutch! Triumph's cost to fix it would be far below the $2000 AUDs that was originally estimated to repair it.

That's a fair statement, I've been a bit critical about the unfortunate failure of this bike's clutch. Hopefully this is an isolated event. But to be fair all the negative energy could have been prevented if Triumph would have just honored their warranty and replaced this poor man's clutch! Triumph's cost to fix it would be far below the $2000 AUDs that was originally estimated to repair it.
I would have liked to see his dealer be more supportive. If I was in his position I would have asked the dealer for cost adjustment of the repair. I would straightout ask for a 50/50 cost split. May be a bit late now.😭

Ok im gonna go out on a limb and say we wont see to many of these, take one look at Rock ape and we can probably agree he abuses motorcycles:thumbsup::D hes a monster and that dealer probably said, oh heck no look at him, you know he got way to aggressive with that thang:cool: wish they would have covered it but its not gonna happen much, all hooligans are not created the same. In good nature Rocket Ape ( just in case you ever come to America i wont us to be ahright

Ok im gonna go out on a limb and say we wont see to many of these, take one look at Rock ape and we can probably agree he abuses motorcycles:thumbsup::D hes a monster and that dealer probably said, oh heck no look at him, you know he got way to aggressive with that thang:cool: wish they would have covered it but its not gonna happen much, all hooligans are not created the same. In good nature Rocket Ape ( just in case you ever come to America i wont us to be ahright
Great fun post. I thought he looked like he’d be a bit rough on “stuff”from his picture.:roll:

We're good brother. You made my morning with that post. Still laughing. :)

As far as I know there is no direct connection from the ECU to the new R3 clutch that allows Traction Control to "slip" the clutch to maintain traction. There is no need to do so as the ECU controls throttle position, timing and fueling so it can manage power output and engine rpm. The self activating, or torque reactive, clutch does so mechanically. with no ECU control needed. They can be very effective because they can generate far more clutch plate pressure than several more springs would. So you get a lighter lever pull, better lock-up, and as a side effect slipping on down shifts (depending on the design.) What is there not to like? But if you feather them excessively while taking off, or while doing burn outs, they can act like a weaker non-energizing clutch as there is not enough torque feedback from the drive train to get them to actuate. Over heat them just once and you are on the slippery slope towards clutch failure: it is only a matter of time!

As to using a hydraulic clutch; it would make no difference. Power is a function of force, distance and time. Therefore, if it takes 300lbs force for 1/8" to pull, or push, the clutch open (at the clutch plate) given the same amount of time to pull the lever, all mechanisms used to accomplish the task will need to transmit the same amount of energy. A cable system loses power transmitted because of the friction generated at the pivots and cable sliding in the sheath. Hydraulic systems are more efficient, but they do not reduce the amount of input power needed at the lever to open a given clutch other than that otherwise lost to friction in a cable or lever system.

If the bike in question had some miles on it before it was purchased as "new," I would question the dealer as to whom had been riding it and what they were doing. You could also ask for the data on usage from the ECU: run time, load and rpm during that time, speed, and more are logged in the ECU. You may not get it without a court order, but it is your motorcycle and the ECU and data belong to you. The software in the system is leased but that is separate from the data it generates.

Even then, knowing the clutch may have been abused, clutches are considered normal wear items so they are not usually warranted, nor are bald tires. Representing a vehicle as new when sold when it is actually used, and known to have been used hard, is generally considered fraud.

Back