Close Calls - Stupid on 4 Wheels

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I recently installed a dash cam. Here's the first example- it's not that unusual or particularly life threatening. We've all experienced much worse. I probably average about three of these kinds of things/week. In this one you'll see a car coming up from behind on my right. Apparently, he was able to pass me without even knowing that I was there.

I'm following a SUV in the left lane, keeping distance, waiting for him to get over. You'll see the car driver pass on my right and soon start to drift ever-so-slightly (you may not notice in the video) and I'm watching him. Then, not surprised, he crosses the line partly into my lane. What you can't hear is my laying on the upgraded horn, just before getting him the he11 behind me.

The thing to do, I know, is the back way off the first time someone shows they have their head up their a$$. I didn't allow myself to be beside him, but staying that close waiting for him to do something stupid was intentional and not the brightest move on my part.

Unfortunately, to be continued......

If you have something, share it.

Last edited:
Everyday all day here in moron/cell phone land. There is little to no traffic enforcement in any part of California anymore and in some cities non existent like San Francisco. The morons know this so the have a "I don't give a crap, get out of my way " attitude. Cell phones are always in peoples hands here also. It gets tiresome at times although you have to be aggressive in your riding here or get abused. I always split traffic now when 2 years ago only once in a while. It's crazy here. The freeway speeds seriously in the fast lane is 90 mph plus. I don't see it getting any better.:mad:

Yup, it's a jungle out there. I installed a dashcam in my car about a year ago and so far it does an excellent job of recording both front and rear views. Your rearward camera appears to show and record the same view you would get viewing traffic behind you in your mirrors. In my case the rear camera shows and records a view that is reversed from what I would normally see in my rear view mirror inside the car. Took me awhile to understand why that was happening. The advantage is the cameras record vehicle license plate numbers in their true orientation and not in a reverse image like our mirrors do. The problem for me is when looking at my rearview mirror, now covered with the video cameras display, when I see what appears to be a vehicle coming up on the right side of my car it is actually coming up on my left and same for the left side image it is actually a vehicle on my right. I've learned pretty well to habitually look at my outside mirrors to get the true picture of where cars are and not use the "mirror" inside the car because it is no longer showing a normal mirror image. :oops:

Another example. I'm seeing that the wide angle view of these cameras does not match the more telephoto view we can quickly go to when we ride. This muscle car had it's right wheels on the double line when I first saw it. Hard to tell here, but really hoping not to give you more thrilling footage anytime soon....

Please allow me to hop on the soapbox . . . :p
First off, Good riding! You have well illustrated a very important danger of riding the twisties!
Right hand twisties are more dangerous than lefties and they deserve MORE caution, especially when on the hoon.
Riding a delayed apex is the fastest way 'round. On right handers this sadly will bring you out near the center line and set you up for the careless cage, or motor driver that has chosen to lengthen his radius and compensate for his excessive speed by covering or crossing the center line.
Many years ago, after experiencing a few close calls, I have wised up and reduced the entrance speed of my right hand hoon in order to maintain a 4 to 5 feet clearance to the center line.
At the risk of overextending my soapbox time, I must also point out that a motor rider should always allow enough site distance when approaching/entering a curve so he can stop or avoid a unexpected hazard in his path of travel.
While riding, when you can identify an object that defines your maximum site distance count the time it takes to reach it at your current speed. "One - one thousand, two - one thousand, . . ." and so on works pretty well for me. Once you have this time estimated, apply to this chart:
Min-Stop-Dist.jpg
Anyone interested in how this was done, just ask.

Back