You could rough up the chrome and paint them, or as you say strip the chrome to base, then either re-chrome them in Black Chrome, or again paint them.
This photo just an example of Black Chrome.

100_0939.JPG

Cheers Paul now would muratic acid strip the chrome? or what other method?
To be honest I don't know what muratic acid is.
In the chrome plating Industry there are two types of chrome stripper, one is basically reversing the current, this rips the chrome off, is messy and leaves a lot of cleaning up to do.
The second is a Cyanide based stripper, this leaves the product as it was polished before it was plated, this is real good.
After 911, the world went nuts on security so anyone that has this stripper has to keep it locked up with yards of paper work as to when they used it, stopped for lunch etc etc. hence it's not a cheap way to do it, BUT IT IS GOOD.
Ask your local chrome platers about this.

I dropped all my chrome parts to my Powdercoating guys. They powder coated them 2yrs ago, and they still look the same.

Powdercoating seems the way to go....no need to strip. It should should look every bit as good as black chrome.

My powder coater gave mine a quick sand blast prior to coating to give the coating a good surface to adhere to.

What is the best way to turn chrome guards black? is it best to strip the chrome off, has anyone done this.
Be really careful if you decide to try and remove chrome. The dust is deadly for your liver and other bits. Check YouTube for chrome repainting to see precautions.

Back