Choices, choices; or new vs demo vs pre-owned Rocket III

Which option would you choose?

• New ('13 or '14 MY)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Triumph demo ('13 MY, no previous owner)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Pre-owned ('11 or '12 MY, 1 previous owner)

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Martin W.

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
So, I'm in the market for a Rocket and I have, incidentally, 3 choices.

New (either current stock of 2013 model year or wait for 2014 to arrive); realistically, 17.5k USD out the door
Triumph demo bike ('13 MY, 500 miles, comes with panniers, pillion backrest, and windscreen); approx 15.5k out the door, first service has been performed
Pre-owned ('11 or '12 MY (waiting for confirmation, but not older than '11), 1400 miles, being sold as owner has had hip surgery and can no longer ride. Comes with around 2k worth of upgrades, including blackout details similar to the 13, Triumph upgraded exhaust , Touring seat (important for my use), and several others); approx 13k out the door, first service has been performed

The guy who had the '11 or '12 was real cool, and this was his 3rd Rocket. He and his brother used to ride, but after surgery the bike is just too unwieldy for him to ride anymore. He's put around 2 - 2.5k worth of aftermarket upgrades/visual mods on it, and it runs smoothly. Dealership is offering 6 month dealer warranty.

So, if it was your choice, what would you do?

My considerations;
1. I'd like a bike now as opposed to waiting around, as my Triumph Daytona 675R was stolen about a month ago
2. I will need a good seat (such as the Touring stock seat) and detachable backrest for when my SO comes along
3. I do not necessarily need items such as windscreens, bags, and similar as we won't be driving cross country anytime soon
4. While money is not a concern, I do prefer value for money (cost efficiency)
5. Currently researching if you can get the electronic limiter removed on the '11 and '12 MY bikes, as this would make the pre-owned even more attractive

Let me know what you think; thoughts, suggestions, and comments are very welcome!

thee one with 1400 miles on it seems good..... And if you don't want all those extras----- you can send then to me!!!!!

If you buy a new one, get the latest model available.
Some demos are OK, but just check they're not from SE Queensland..... ;)

Thanks guys, that's kind of where I'm at. The demo bike looks good, but especially with a big bike like this I'd be concerned about the people test riding it not knowing what they're doing, and especially revving it during break-in.

Anyone know what's new on the '14s, by the way?

I'm getting the full details on the pre-owned today and I have funds available, so I'll make a go-no-go decision on that today or tomorrow.

I'm trying to get confirmation that the Touring gel seat will fit the roadster; anyone know for sure?

While I wouldn't have minded buying directly off of the old owner, he's already sold the bike to the dealership; title's in their hands.

Get the pre-owned. I would guess its less then a new one and it comes with upgrades that you can either keep or sell. At 1400 miles it ain't even broke in yet. Ride it like you stole it during the 6 month warranty to see if anything breaks

R3Tex; hahahaha, that's great advice. Going to call the dealership for numbers on the pre-owned, despite them telling me they were going to call me first thing in the morning 'cause they want to sell it before end of October.

Back