Changing the gearing?

NotSoHiddenFox

.040 Over
Ride
20 3R
Hello everyone, I'm not too familiar with shaft driven bikes. I was wondering if there was something similar to changing sprockets on a shaft driven bike. I'm currently pushing about 150-160 torque and horsepower at the wheel and it makes first gear too short for most situations my opinion. I was hoping it would be possible to make gears taller in order to spin the engine slower on the freeway and get more use out of first gear. Pretty sure the torque on this beast will keep it from stalling in stuck traffic even with a tall gear.

I saw a comment about someone thinking of the same. But they didn't go into details and I think the thread was old.

As soon as I start moving first gear is gone,
Same. I get rid of it quick. I'm not comfortable with how long it takes me to change from first to second from a stop with forward controls though. If I do it without a clutch then the bike tends to pop back into neutral after a second or two.

I have not heard of anyone on here doing it but now that I’m in your thread I might have to change that story.

Gearing is fine. My problem is that ok not used to the having to pull back on the throttle so **** much. I have to do some weird wrist stuff.

Jumping out of 2nd gear under heavy throttle is one of the signs that the update kit is needed. Just a thought.

If you fit the Bridgestone E-Max rear tyre - you will be raising the final gearing by about 3.5-4% - And a large number of us have done that. Maybe not for that reason, but there it is.

Otherwise it is REALLY expensive. I am not aware of many shaft drive bikes where alternative bevel box gearing is available - Some old 1970's Guzzis, but even then it is NOT easy. And it may be possible to swap between some BMW's.

If you just wanted a taller cruising gear then @R-III-R Turbo can tell you how much a sixth gear overdrive conversion is. Many thousands.

And clutchless gear changes with 140ft-lbs and no quickshifter ignition cutout is asking for a busted gearbox and shattered clutch.

Changing Bevel box gearing comes with other "issues" especially where the speedometer drive is from the transmission.

Last edited:
Jumping out of 2nd gear under heavy throttle is one of the signs that the update kit is needed. Just a thought.

Could you elaborate on this? I've noticed I sometimes hope from second to neutral under heavy acceleration. Especially when doing clutch less shifts.

If you fit the Bridgestone E-Max rear tyre - you will be raising the final gearing by about 3.5-4% - And a large number of us have done that. Maybe not for that reason, but there it is.

Otherwise it is REALLY expensive. I am not aware of many shaft drive bikes where alternative bevel box gearing is available - Some old 1970's Guzzis, but even then it is NOT easy. And it may be possible to swap between some BMW's.

If you just wanted a taller cruising gear then @R-III-R Turbo can tell you how much a sixth gear overdrive conversion is. Many thousands.

And clutchless gear changes with 140ft-lbs and no quickshifter ignition cutout is asking for a busted gearbox and shattered clutch.

Changing Bevel box gearing comes with other "issues" especially where the speedometer drive is from the transmission.
Yeah, the amount of torque on this thing did make me stop doing clutch less upshifts but frankly every now and then I'll end up doing it from memory. The Street triple was so smooth it felt pretty natural.

Back