Can a Rocket III take down the establishment, and rule this island

So another couple months has passed and I've only been able to put a small amount of time into it.
Slow progress but positive progress nonetheless.

Self mapped to about 50% throttle & ventured as far as only almost 6000rpm so far - another 3000rpm to go.

Some mildly interesting numbers observed;

40 - 70mph
Stock Rocket @100% throttle took me about 3.5 sec
This Rocket @30% throttle takes me about 2.4 sec

60 - 90mph
Stock Rocket @100% throttle took me about 3.7 sec
This Rocket @50% throttle takes me about 3.0 sec

1697400872861.png

Well today was a frustrating day. Putting the Triumph wire clips and the older Carrillo wire clips into the groove at each end of the gudgeon pin was always a bit fiddly but doable.
Anyone who does this I bet will agree it's a pain.
The new Carrillo wire clips are a lot tougher and just do not want to go in.. doable one the bench but very difficult with piston in the upper case.
With the Stroker you have to use reverse bolt rods so fastening them from above. Means you have 1 option for doing pistons and that's from the top.

Anyway I made a patented proprietary special tool for doing it, you use a socket like a push rod sliding hammer thing and pop the clips in.
Not perfect, takes a few goes' but it works.

20220809_232756.jpg

20220809_232808.jpg

20220809_232830.jpg

20220809_232906.jpg

20220809_232923.jpg

20220809_232957.jpg

20220809_233118.jpg
It was a pain, blood was involved. My left thumb will need recovery time as damage to it was incurred😂 sweet tool, you must have caused a little damage to a thumb to come up with a tool 😂they are the tightest things

It was a pain, blood was involved. My left thumb will need recovery time as damage to it was incurred😂 sweet tool, you must have caused a little damage to a thumb to come up with a tool 😂they are the tightest things

It was always a pain with factory clips, but the newer style super strong Carillo ones just make it nigh impossible.
No issue on the bench, just if doing it in the upper case it becomes quite a challenge

20240224_171854.jpg

This monster has been parked up for months now. Dusting it off a little. Fixed a coolant leak (I hope), updated its motor tax and pumped tyres they were half flat. Might get a brief spin in to check leak is fixed tomorrow.

I'm anxious to see how that thing runs!

When I put the 2.5 Bar BMW MAP sensor on, was worried it wouldn't work and if it did then the mapping would be trash because the granularity was significantly reduced in that before you had a map table of x amount of cells covering 1 bar and now you have the same amount of cells to cover 2.5 bar.
Couple that with 80lb injectors (stock ones are 33..?) running on an ECU where you can't adjust injector size... it was looking like a recipe for disaster.
But after a bit of work, I an delighted to report it runs **** sweet. Even down low when pootling about in heavy traffic etc, fuels just fine based on MAP.

No such luck for a spin today :-(
On the rare occasions I get some time free it rains.

20240225_132006.jpg

Last edited:
Got a few minutes free time and it was dry!
Good to be back. Man is the bike a monster compared to the runaround commuter (Hayabusa)
Coolant leak appears sorted - need some more heat cycles to be sure.
Back brake has gone limp, going to need some work but then it's all in order once again and back to mapping we go.

In other news, the MCI are closing in on insurance for bike racing on the isle this year, but drag racing is not one of the events covered :-(
Will have to make do with Dragy runs and see where I land.

Back