Change Tires at Home

Well, I WAS planning on taking my 180 (Touring rear) to Rocky Mountain ATV and let them mount it... Might not be a good idea after reading this thread. I've bought all the tires for my Kawasaki Vulcan 88 from them and for $20 they will mount the tire (wheel off the bike). It might be good for another season, but I better start looking for a place in Utah that can handle it.
BTW the front tire on the touring is the same as the rear on the Kawasaki.

To me, cutting a tire off was a "Redneck solution". Until I did it. I think I will clean the tire lube off before filling with air next time as @rjsjota does. And look for some of the watery "Ruglyde". I will look into that tywrap method. My spoons are only about 6 or 7 inches long. Bought them in about 1973 or so. "They" are old

I got "Ruglyde" from NAPA but it's probably widely available. I gave a quart to a buddy, and the rest will last many years at the rate I change tires, a few per year.

Your comment on short tire spoons/levers/irons took me back in time to the early 1970s. Back when my bikes had skinny tires with inner tubes, rims were chrome and didn't easily get dinged, I used short mild steel tire levers, maybe 8 inches long, no rim protectors. I think my father gave me the levers in 1972, the first year I rode to college. They were already used, made from mild steel, and I can bend them if I push too hard. I still have them, and take them on road trips when I'm riding with a friend who uses inner tubes. I don't use them any more because I have something better.

Nowadays, with tighter-fitting tubeless tires, combined with alloy rims that scratch easily, I use 4 rim protectors with ropes attached and I find I need good lube and longer levers. Mine are 15 inches long, with one curved end and one straight end, both ends are quite slim to make insertion easier. They might be forged because they are very stiff.

I have always used 3 spoons/levers/irons, they aren't very expensive, will last forever, why make it more difficult than it already is?

I will have to make a video. These are not mild steel, very tough and short. Slide right under the tire, use small bites at a time, works good enough for me, when I don't have 4 bucks to have it done!

Well, I WAS planning on taking my 180 (Touring rear) to Rocky Mountain ATV and let them mount it... Might not be a good idea after reading this thread. I've bought all the tires for my Kawasaki Vulcan 88 from them and for $20 they will mount the tire (wheel off the bike). It might be good for another season, but I better start looking for a place in Utah that can handle it.
BTW the front tire on the touring is the same as the rear on the Kawasaki.

I have a touring, and I have had to do the tires by hand, on the touring it wasn't to bad, but the back tire does not have any where near the same amount of meat on it as the roadster rear, worked up a sweat doing it, but it wasn't to bad, three spoons was enough to get them tires mounted

Back