Catastrophic Transmission Failure

No worries, I had the same issue. The tranny and the owner need to get broken in.:) Once the break in oil is changed and you have synthetic running in it the tranny shifts better also.

Beast,

Pig9r is correct. On such a new engine, there is a learning curve for the driver and the tranny needs some break-in time as well as the regular synthetic oil.

There are two basic techniques I use for getting her positvely in first gear - -
1. With engine at idle in neutral, pull in the clutch and quickly push the shifter down into first. If the bike lurches a lot, you may need to tighten the clutch cable to more fully disengage the clutch.
2. With the clutch pulled in, press down and hold the shifter lever. Slowly let out the clutch until you feel the transmission engage into first. This is a more gentle method than the first, and the one I have been using since the upgrade.

Give it some time and do wait for the 500 mile service before getting too concerned. We all went through this. They should send all Rocket captains to the Allis-Chalmers motorcycle course instead of the MSF! ;)

BTW, I have some new material for Jeff Foxworthy - - If your tranny is doing "X", you might need an upgrade . . . . . . . By a COMPETENT dealer.

Good luck.
Txclassic

The popping out of first gear is common especially on new bikes. The problem is that it was never fully engaged. I have gotten used to easing out the clutch and then putting it into gear as I pull the lever. You will feel it go all the way in. It works this way and is easier to do than explain. You'll get a feel for it. Now that I have the upgrade this might not be necessary as the whole g'box feels lighter and smoother now.

I seem to have left that quirk in Marne (in the cardboard box with all the parts) at Baxter's. Mine goes right into gear without the usual (pre-rebuild) fanfare. Just pull in the clutch and engage, just like my other bikes. I was amazed because I'm so used to doing it the 'other' way.

Gentlemen, and you too Flip, that's reassuring.
I had no lurching, so I think it was my light foot, used to the 250cc, not doing the job.
I can hardly wait to get past this break-in time.
By the way, I've read the threads on after burn, and my beast pops a bit.
I'm not too concerned, it sounds cool, any need to alert the tech at my initial service?
I really appreciat the "Veterans" opinions.
Thanks,
Beast

Back