Cat Removal Questions

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
One of the first things done to my '09 Harley Ultra when new was cats removal and new headers/pipes installed. On my two Rockets I've never felt the need to do that considering how powerful they are as is with the cat boxes still in there. However my Brother-in-law, a retired welder/metal fabricator/know-it-all , is anxious to remove them and build crossovers for my bikes and/or cut the guts out of the cat boxes and reinstall them, thereby bypassing need for crossover pipes.

So, first question: Is there anything of significance to be gained for an old man who pretty much sticks to the speed limit with the occasional 100-120 mph need for speed impulses? Seems to me the only real advantage that I have seen expressed here that might be a consideration is the removal of excessive heat in that area and thereby possibly extending the life of the stator and starter which are in close proximity to the cat box.

Second question: Does cat box removal require new tunes? Bro-in-law, who only knows Harleys, says, "NO!".

Third Question: Can the cat boxes be cut open with a torch or grinder, innards removed, and boxes welded back together? :unsure:

No... Yes...Yes.
With proper tuning you can make a significant change to HP/TQ that you can feel in the butt dyno. Particularly on the Touring.
On your 2006 R3 look at the side of the cat box to see if it has the letter "N" or the letter "C". The N cat box has NO element in it and needs nothing done to it. The C cat box has an element in it and would need to be removed.
On your 2008 R3T the cat elements are in the mufflers. I guess a great welder could cut them open to remove the elements from the back side so the cut/weld would not be visible. The chrome could heat stain some. A set of TORs mufflers or a set of D&D Touring mufflers work very well on the Touring.
You can get away without re-tuning, but it is really recommended to get re-tuned. I would find a way to re-tune.

Last edited:
Are you looking at removing the CAT from your Classic or R3T? For my '14 touring, the cats were in the pipes. When I changed my pipes to D&D's, my CATS were eliminated. I did install a new tune to simply open up the power I'd been robbed of at the factory.
-MIG

Are you looking at removing the CAT from your Classic or R3T? For my '14 touring, the cats were in the pipes. When I changed my pipes to D&D's, my CATS were eliminated. I did install a new tune to simply open up the power I'd been robbed of at the factory.
-MIG
Well, my questions apply to both Rocket models that I have. My 2008 Touring has D & D pipes but the cat box, not in the pipes, is still installed, came that way from the second owner, I'm the third owner at the trough, as usual. :roll:

PS Now you have me wondering if my Touring bike has a cat box or not. The box looks like the one on my Classic model but smaller.

Well, my questions apply to both Rocket models that I have. My 2008 Touring has D & D pipes but the cat box, not in the pipes, is still installed, came that way from the second owner, I'm the third owner at the trough, as usual. :roll:

PS Now you have me wondering if my Touring bike has a cat box or not. It looks like the one on my Classic model but smaller.
Admittedly, I've never looked for proof, but I'm told the box on the touring is empty. Good to hear you have D&D's! I love the almost stock look and the better growl. If you have the cable and an android phone, I can get you the tune I have installed which made a world of difference (as I remember... it has been almost 7 years... heh!).
-MIG

Admittedly, I've never looked for proof, but I'm told the box on the touring is empty. Good to hear you have D&D's! I love the almost stock look and the better growl. If you have the cable and an android phone, I can get you the tune I have installed which made a world of difference (as I remember... it has been almost 7 years... heh!).
-MIG
Appreciate the offer but the bike has already been dyno tuned by previous owner to run like a scalded cat. I assume there must be something inside the cat box , but who knows?

The box on the 2008 Touring is empty, cats are in mufflers. Years ago someone cut one opened to see and its empty. It is just a way to get from 1 header pipe to 2 mufflers

The box on the 2008 Touring is empty, cats are in mufflers. Years ago someone cut one opened to see and its empty. It is just a way to get from 1 header pipe to 2 mufflers
I guess that explains why it is so much smaller than the one on my Classic. đź‘Ť

1639877039253.jpg

Picture from a thread by Paul Byrant showing inside of box on Touring

Back