CAT Bypass System

Hey Grey Dog,
What's the Predator system?
from all the exhaust system reserch ive done, its the hands down best, (in my opinion) and ive just got to have one. do a serch on this forum, there are pictures somewhere, as well as opinions from people who have them. GREY DOG

I don't want to be a 'bearer of bad tidings' but, If you change the stock exhaust system to an aftermarket system, I'd be putting the stock system away somewhere for probable use in the future.

'Probable' can be soon or not so soon depending on big brother and whether the current spate of legislation gains momentum. Various communities are adopting noise and emissions regulations that could spell and end to aftermarket systems. A good example is Denver where your exhaust system not only has to pass a noise test but has to be 'Agency' stamped and certified and that means if you have a cat box and it's not there, you don't get your plates. The AMA as well as other groups are fighting the legislation but with the current 'Global Warming' trend (I personally think it's all bull****), the movement is on for motorcycle certification. To that end, I'd keep the stock system if you replace it with anything at least for the next owner if you sell the bike. OEM exhaust systems are prohibitively expensive to replace and a non-stock system could cause your re-sale value to plummet rapidly.

I'm 'up the creek' with my Bonnie. I used the stock headers as a jig to replecate a custom system and the mufflers themselves got given away. Oh well, it's a show bike anyway.

How much louder does a stock by pass make the Rocket? Is it, "holy smokes" louder or just loud enough? I would like to give my bike's sound a boost but I don't want to be like the ape hanger, glass pack crew that is driving the legislation that you are referring to. As a native of Colorado I can tell you that the whole state is similar, no loud pipes at all. The HD dealer in Colorado Springs won't even install aftermarket pipes on HDs!

I have the stock pipes with the cat bypass. Its fine for me, I can ride all day long with a half helmet and no ear plugs and still there the wifey yell about being gone all day when I return:D. It's still got the the head turning ability when I stick a fist in the carburator. The main reason for ditchin my cat box was a heat issue under the wifey's feet. added bonus is a claimed 11-13 hp increase.. My dealer installed mine for just a touch over $300.

Thanks Pig9r. I listened to all the options and the CAT Bypass is all i'll need. Gunshots, sounds like you got a good price. I will have to see if my friendly Triumph dealer will do the same.

Back