Can a Rocket III take down the establishment, and rule this island

R-III-R Turbo

Mine is the biggest :)
Ride
2472cc Supercharged Carpenter Rocket III Stroker
So in southern Ireland, drag racing isn't a big thing. In fact there is only 1 motorcycle event on per year here that I know of, it's on in early April on a public road which is closed for the day.
(There are no drag strips here. Only other drag races I know of are cars that do it on an airport runway that closes for the day.)
Anyway 10 years ago this was the final - two turbo Hayabusas, and about 8.88sec time being as good as it gets overall.

Cut forward 10 years to 2022, and pretty much the same guy is still winning them, with 8.85 sec (he did an 8.77 irrc earlier on)

So in 10 years at least, they haven't got any faster really or had anyone else winning.
FYI track record is 8.6X sec iirc from a few years ago, top trap speeds around 180mph.

So watching it this year (April) I made the decision, time to bring the beast to these drag races next year.
If I combine my TTS stage 2 kit, Carpenter 240 kit, 2.5L Stroker kit, oh yes and some nice Lush Racing kit.... will it be enough to match a 700hp Busa, from a dig to a line 1320 feet away?
Maybe even beat it, and knock the guy off the top spot?

Will definitely put a cat amongst the pigeons, no doubt about that, well a big heavy cruiser amongst a sea of sport bikes anyway (see pic below).

Figure at the very least it will upset a few folk by embarrassing them on a daily driver big heavy cruiser that was rode in there that day (not trailered) with motor tax paid & displayed, license plate on, tank full of pump fuel, running everyday street tyres...

Reckon it can be done?

279930905_2156837924485149_2425789150434980097_n.jpg

I would love to see your Rocket III on steroids take on this challenge!
Here are a couple of obstacles you will have to overcome.
Weight. The Busa will have an advantage on you.
Wheelbase. Aftermarket lengthened swing arms for the Busa are readily available that will give them an advantage, especially at launch, where most drag races are won or lost.
But if any cruiser could present a challenge to King Busa at a dragstrip a heavily modified Rocket III is it!

These busas have significantly more power, and also a lot less weight.
If this was a half mile roll race, no doubt the busas would walk away, for sure.
When you get into big hp territory, the biggest difference is at higher speeds.
I'm thinking if a Carpenter 265whp bike can do 9 sec flat, can a 4-500hp bike do 8.5.
On a strip with light pro rider, easily.. but this is a road, and me being the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat.

If this was a half mile roll race, no doubt the busas would walk away, for sure.
I'm thinking if a Carpenter 265whp bike can do 9 sec flat, can a 4-500hp bike do 8.5.
On a strip with light pro rider, easily.. but this is a road, and me being the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat.
And Now I no why you are looking for a quick shifter.

The key word is your post "can". Since I'm coming in not knowing so can I ask a few questions?

Have you recently done any drag racing? If so with a bike with this power? If yes to both then I think then the possibility is good.

I've tried wrestling a 200 horsepower bike at a drag strip and it was tough for me. Twice that horsepower has to extremely hard to do well.

The ET should be very good compared to a stocker even if the run is a little rough. Good luck.

Pretty much all my racing has been roll racing. Lots of it over the years. Stock hayabusa and a Carpenter Rocket. I need to do a lot of practicing launching over the next 9 months...
Well at least your accustomed to the horsepower. The good news your reaction times don't effect your ET but it is hard to not want beat the other rider out of the gate. The drag strip will definitely offer a lot more traction and bite and will take getting use to it.

Your stock wheel base will making launching hard without massive wheelies or the rear coming around on you.

As you practice your 60 foot times will tell you how your doing. Improvements or mistakes in the 60 foot will be multiplied two fold at the end good or bad.

I've been drag racing for over 50 years now and I still get nervous at the tree, the practice will get your body acting on automatic so the nerves won't effect you as much.

If you run with the traction control on you'll be safer but you best time will be off from .2 to .4 seconds, but it might be a good idea until you get some practice runs in.

The only thing I would add don't change a lot on the bike until you feel real comfortable launching, most of the significant Improvements I have seen initially are by the rider.

You didn't ask but I would like to see you and your Rocket 3 kick some butt.

Screenshot_20220705-192126_Samsung Internet.jpg

Apparently you will need be slightly stoned and have anal beads at the ready - presumably to prevent your arse biting holes in the seat. I assume the tool kit may be needed in case the beads fail and you require mechanical unclenching in order to get to your celebratory Guinness....have at it young man!

Wishing you the best and knowing you will give your best effort. It's the journey that means the most.

Back