Buying a Rocket III info needed

HammerMac89

To the Rocket go the spoils
Ride
2015 Rocket III
Hey all,
I currently am looking for a rocket III, I would obviously love the 2017 Roadster but cannot afford a toy that expensive. My price has to stay under $10k, that being said are there any years better than others, how many miles do they typically run, any information in general will help out. Thanks guys and gals

Welcome to the forum. Have a good read on here and get familiar with what's what, see what you can get for your budget, take your wallet, have a test drive and you'll buy one.

I've driven quite a few, I am just wondering if there are years that should be avoided, I know I have read elsewhere that 1st gear used to be quite a pain with older models.

Buy as new as you can afford as there has been upgrades through the years. 2008 on should have all the transmission upgrades done but if looking at an earlier model check the VIN through a dealer to see if the upgrades had been done (usually under warranty) a couple of members here have rockets for sale @scot in exile and @mexican (his son) both in the states

The craigslist ad that was just shared is a really good baseline for a deal. 5 years old, 2700 miles, $7500. When I bought mine many years ago it was 2 years old, 2900 miles, $9500. I was always extremely happy with that price. From that recent ad and others I've seen over the years, that's the range I'd be looking at.

Honestly, if my budget was $15-17k, I still wouldn't buy a new one. When you can get just a couple years old, very low miles, garage kept and in pristine condition, for over $5k off of new… I'd much rather put that $5k to accessories and mods. Sorry Triumph! There are just too many people with money to burn buying toys they don't use, eating it when they sell a couple years later. Our gain!

As for specific years, as has been mentioned, you can't go wrong with your price range. You'll be looking at models probably a few years later than 2008, so I wouldn't think twice about it.

Exciting times! I'm curious how you've managed to drive a few Rockets without owning one… very trusting friends? The used dealer I bought from wouldn't even allow a test ride. We started it up but otherwise I bought without even riding it around the block. But I sure had The Grin™ all the way home that day!

It was very tough riding without buying, went to a few dealerships, even drove a 2017 roadster, which I shouldn't have done, that thing is a brute and absolutely sexy. I am on the west coast though so the ones I've found on here seem to be mainly east coast, that's a lot of miles or a hefty bill for delivery.

This place claims $399 for delivery anywhere in US: 2008 R3, 7k miles, $6,300 That'd leave a nice chunk of budget to customize.

One thing you didn't mention… what's your timeline? Are you prepared to wait for the right deal closer to you, even if it takes a few months? Or are you hoping to get something asap to make the most of this summer? Then again if you're west coast maybe you don't have a riding season…

Back