Bridgestone tires for the R3 Standard/Classic/Roadster

The Exedra Max will raise the rear .48" or just shy of half an inch. The Max is not made in a size that will fit the front rim of our bikes so I went with the Commander II in a narrower, 140 width and slightly lower section width (75) than the OEM donut. So far, it has proven to be a fantastic combination.

Just discovered this weekend that the 130 front tire is amazing but it messes up your ABS sensor and disables it from working...

Has anyone used the 140 front tire on ABS equipped models without issues and which tires have you used?

I have the 240/55 Exedra Max on the rear. I've found a few that looks like they have used the 140 successfully - just wanted to make sure before I lose another $150 in tires / labor

This post is pretty wore out but mines in the shop getting excedra max on rear and an avon on the front! I't'll be a while before I can report! There's a bunch here that like the combo and thats why I went with it! They ride harder than I also!

Was toying with the idea of a Bridgestone for my next rear but I have a bracket made up that moves my indicators up and in. I took the shockies off and checked the clearence with the suspension fully compressed and I only have 7ml clearence with a nearly worn out Metz. No room for a Bridgestone I'd suggest anyone running a Rivco bracket or something similar with Bridgestone check the clearence. There's about 80ml at rest but lift the swingarm up and the gap closes considerably. I could modify the bracket to give more room but I went to the trouble of getting it powder coated so I'll leave it as is till I get keen again.

Mind you 209 kph / 130 mph should be fine . i hit 200 from time to time but its nice to have that little bit of extra assurance and peace of mind with the 239 kph rating of the metz 149mph:cool:
Wise. When you see how SPEED ratings are obtained and homologated - I'd want as high a speed rating as possible on an R3. Any decent Sport-Tourer has Z rated rubber on.
Speed ratings are based on tests where the tyre is run at speeds in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments until the required speed has been met.
No harsh acceleration and no cornering forces.

The info I have from Austria ( and from Metzler indirectly) is that the V and H rated tyres are in fact identical. Was desined as an H rated tyre - but was over engineered for such and achieved V rating later.

is it safe to do that and mix my breeds?
Yup!
if not ill just stick with the metz they have never done me wrong :cool:
After measuring; the Metz front fits to the Triumph rim poorly. I did find a link to a page on the US Metz web that showed the tyre was what is called a pinch fit. It will fit a 3.5 rim but that's the MINIMUM width. This is partially why they cup-wear.

They've removed the page now - wish I'd saved it locally.

The Avon Cobra fits better - it's made for an OPTIMUM fit on a 3.5 rim. But if you push hard in bends and ride fast sustained - it will get just as hot and wear just as fast.

Just discovered this weekend that the 130 front tire is amazing but it messes up your ABS sensor and disables it from working...

Has anyone used the 140 front tire on ABS equipped models without issues and which tires have you used?

I have the 240/55 Exedra Max on the rear. I've found a few that looks like they have used the 140 successfully - just wanted to make sure before I lose another $150 in tires / labor

I'm due for a tyre on the front.as I don't have abs brakes Ill give the 130 ago :rolleyes:

I have just been talking too my tyre supplier about the 130 front tyre and his comments were not favourable.he says the tyre has not been designed for the weight of the bike and because the tyre is considerably narrower , if tyre pressures are not at the correct pressure all the time there is a real possibility that the tyre could separate from the rim. On saying this he said that he would fit the 130 tyre to the bike if I wanted to go ahead with it

I have just been talking too my tyre supplier about the 130 front tyre and his comments were not favourable.he says the tyre has not been designed for the weight of the bike and because the tyre is considerably narrower t
I do understand their concern - it was and is mine too.

BUT a GoldWing has a 130/70R-18 front and weighs quite a bit more than an R3.

As long as the 130/70R17 is designed for a 3.5 rim you're OK. And the E-Max is. It's also Z rated so will cope better with heat.

The 150/80 and 240/50 are COSMETIC.

Yes indeed. First one was a Michelin Commander II - it lasted only 4706 miles. Likely a bad tire; but, I never had an ABS light. Second 140 is a Dunlop and it is now at the wear bars after 5K miles; but, no ABS light. Most of the miles were either at 80+ or hard in the serious twisties of the Rockies, Ozarks or Smokey mountains.

Who has run a 130 on an ABS Rocket with NO warning lights????
1olbull

Last edited:
Back