Silver Bullet

Supercharged
A Question to the Captains. Last night I was checking the fluid levels on my 05 R3 and noted that the coolant was blue and on the minimum line. Is the coolant supposed to be blue or something else.
I have only seen this color coolant twice before, both occasions were in two new 07 John Deere Tractors purchased for Public Works. Upon inquiry with John Deere to identify the blue substance, they had no idea the coolant wasn't green (glycol base) and later determined it was a coolant supplied by Mercedes Benz for all JD Tractors now being built in Germany. Unfortunately this "blue" anti-freeze does not pass:mad: the litmus test we perform routinely for moly based anti-freeze which aids in cavitation prevention in linered engines. We drained/flushed and replaced the coolant with extended life CAT coolant to help manage any future issues with electrolysis and eliminate any doubt we had with the composition of the coolant supplied by JD. Is this blue coolant a European thing?
Since we have discussed water wetters and its function in the cooling system, what say ye with regard to this blue coolant in the R3? I do intend on testing it with strips this weekend to see if it meets Molybase standards for linered engines. Where does one find it? Should one just drain/flush and go with say....CAT extended life? It appears that the R3 has a linered engine? Thanks Don

Last edited:
SB

Sidecar Flip Is our resident coolant guru,Iam sure he will be with you In a moment..Or we'll fire the fecker..Jack

I'll Wait

Thanks Jack. I thought the issue of coolants and the effects they may have on cavitation and electrolysis is worth discussing. I humbly await his majesty's response....lol. Besides...I want to know if this is the same stuff as JD is using from Mercedes Benz and why it will not pass coolant testing standards.

Last edited:
SB:

Go read Jack's post titled "Need help". i don't want to write the whole thing again. I'm thinking the Mobil AF in Britan is blue. You and I know about the mixing of extended life anf etheylene glycol so I won't go into it here. The only thing I use that's Caterpillar is their fuel conditioner concentrate and I have a 3406 in my farm truck.

Coolant ID

Thanks Flip...I have read the referenced posting and understand that there are several kinds of Extended life and Ethylene Glycol type coolants on the market. My intent was to try and identify the blue coolant in this bike by checking with the members to see if anyone else had this blue coolant or whether there was any concern about using a coolant that does not address the cavitation issue.
What I will do is not take a chance and add any cooling fluid that may not be compatible with the current contents of the cooling system and opt to just multiple flush and use a known product. It will also be a coolant for linered engines just for insurance against perforated liners at some point in the future. Thanks SB.

I'll give you my 2 cents worth as my red 06 had a coolant leak at the pump and it was blue. As I think if Triumph put in the blue stuff and warrants the beast for 2 yrs. unlimited miles that they have an idea what is going on. Me I don't wrench nomo cause all my renches got rusted up.:rolleyes: However I will be all ears to learn what you come up with.:D

Testing

I did bring the test kit home today and will fill you in on whether the unknown blue coolant will pass regarding the molybase needed to protect engines with liners. I am not a chemist but only have the tools used for years to test coolant for its protective properties for that application. I do know the coolant from John Deere indicated a zero content and that fact could not be explained by the JD dealership. Therefore,I am dependent on the tried and true litmus testing used for years in the industry. With regard to perforated liners, It will take more than the two years of the warranty for that type of damage to show up IMHO but when it does, it will be expensive. SB.

cant for the life of me remember where i read it but the rockets run just plane jane ethel glycol based coolant. its not extended life or nothin. and how do you keep the fuel light form coming on all the time. 110 miles bam there she is. lol driving too hard i sapose

I did bring the test kit home today and will fill you in on whether the unknown blue coolant will pass regarding the molybase needed to protect engines with liners. I am not a chemist but only have the tools used for years to test coolant for its protective properties for that application. I do know the coolant from John Deere indicated a zero content and that fact could not be explained by the JD dealership. Therefore,I am dependent on the tried and true litmus testing used for years in the industry. With regard to perforated liners, It will take more than the two years of the warranty for that type of damage to show up IMHO but when it does, it will be expensive. SB.

What I've always done in the past is use a refractometer to test the concentration of Glycol based coolants and the litmus test but I use the Fleetgard test kit which, by the way, isn't compatible with extended life. Refractometers aren't expensive, less than a hundred bucks. I've always stuck with ethylene or propylene and added DCA4 but the new generation coolants are interesting. I had a buddy with a new Cat backhoe that had extended life filled from the factory and he took it in for service and the wrench at the dealer topped it off with Zerex and it immediately turned to goo. The easiest way to flush them out is to use a good dishwasher detergent like Dawn (powder). Cup of dawn a couple gallons of hot water, fill 'er up and run her. Dump and refill again. Third time around, flush with clean hot water and put in the new stuff.

If the stuff in the Rock is Etheylene Glycol (I believe it is), I'll just add a couple ounces of DCA4.

cant for the life of me remember where i read it but the rockets run just plane jane ethel glycol based coolant. its not extended life or nothin. and how do you keep the fuel light form coming on all the time. 110 miles bam there she is. lol driving too hard i sapose

Fuel it up at 109:rolleyes:

Your sending unit, like so many others, is not adjusted properly. There has been much discussion herein on the subject. There's the do it yourself approach, the dealer approach, and the leave it alone methodology. I go the latter route. At 120-130 mine comes on. It doesn't bother me except at night. The yellow light is **** bright.

Back