HellFire

Legend
FYI ... TV's are going cheap this season. LG 50 inch 1080p Plasma for $800? That was a $2700 television just last week ... I had heard it was going to happen, I just didn't believe it. Evidently the Asian market built an assload of TV's for the soccer world cup thinking they would be selling out. That didn't happen ... so now they are being dumped on the US market for the holidays. So they wife comes home with one, now I have to figure out what to do with it.

I think we needed to start a thread on bargains relative to our interests ... like TV's and Surround systems. Tell everyone what bargains are out there and where they can be had. Also, tips and tricks on mounting the giant mothers to the wall and ****.

Ready, set ..... GO! ;)

I'll bet most of you are out there right now with your wives. lol

I need to upgrade my surround system from the Sony that has been giving me trouble since day one. Any one got a favorite?
I want Bose, but can't swing it now ... will never buy another Sony product ever again, so what else is out there? What have you guys got and how do you like it?

I will be using my PS3 for CD/DVD/BlueRay, and IPod for music, so I just need a good tuner/amp/surround system and speakers.

you might as well go with a 7.1 surround since movies are being shot with this system and thats where everything is going. So if you look hard (theres not many in the ads right now) you will find a complete system. Start with onkyo or denon. These are middle of the road systems. complete packages. 6 speakers a subwoofer and a center channel. Pricing aroun $300-500. should last quite a while. Than when you want to spend some money go with a Klipsch system. You can google search these brands and research them (recommended). Now they do have a 9.1 system but not much to take advantage of yet. Also there are 7.2 systems, really not necessary. But this should get ya started. Post back on what ya came up with :D

mutt

7.1 .... good advice, didn't know they had moved that far since my 5.1. A Denon system sounds good, I'm gonna be looking around hard.

I just ordered a component adapter for my Ipod to hook up to the new TV. I'd like all the sound to go through the TV and switch it from there. It comes out from a digital optical cable so I have to make sure whatever I get is optical ready. The idea is to cut down on the amount of wires and switching that has to be done each time I change inputs.

Make sure you look at the specs to see if it has optical. Although you probably are connecting with an HDMI cable (really if not you should be) and this carries sound as well. Most of the newer surround units have HDMI inputs (4 or so) and outputs (usually 1). You run the HDMI from your cable or sattelite into the surround than output to the tv. Same goes for the ipod. right through the receiver unit. This is better than using the TV as the main component. The surround should be your main unit. The video from the HDMI just carries through.

But do some research and see what you think is best. Start at Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras They have great advice on this site. But I would look around for better pricing. they arent always the cheapest.

mutt

I second that on the Bose, I had a Sound Dock system over here and for about 15 months it worked fine...then one day the sound just died. Didn't like spending $269 or $279 for it to only last that long. Maybe I got a bad one.

As for the Sony...I've had mine now for close to 3 years and have never had a problem with it. If your Sony was giving you problems "from day one" you should have taken it back and gotten a new one...sometimes you get those "made on Friday afternoon or the first one made on a Monday morning units".

Good luck on whatever you chose.

Dennis

12 dtg KAF
17 dtg Dubai
18 dtg London
20 dtg Ace Motorcycle Cafe

71 dtg Dubai
72 dtg Home (Thunderbird time and, hopefully, R3T ordering time).

The Sony surround system w/6 disc changer was returned twice, repaired once and never worked right. Had a Sony TV, was repaired twice and never worked right. Had a Sony stereo, didn't last 2 years. Sony telephone, same thing ... died just out of warranty.
The surround system is the last Sony item left in the house, it does it's job if you hold your mouth just right when you kick it. Once it's gone, there will never be another Sony product under my roof again. I think I've given them a chance, they blew it. Time to move on.

Back