Any reason to be concerned?

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hey everyone, after returning home from the Trashville trip and stowing the Rocket away for a day or two, I've noticed a slight "ticking" coming from the left side (more or less) that comes on at about 1500 RPM during very modest acceleration and about 1300 RPM while decelerating. This only happens while the engine is cold and disappears when warmed up.

I've studied this each time I climbed aboard & the engine is cold so it's always there (at least the past 3 days of riding when engine is cold). Once again, the ticking (not really a knocking cause it's too modest) comes on about 1500 RPM when slowly accelerating (then past that it disappears) and about 1300 RPM when letting off the throttle coming back to idle speed.

While on the group ride through the hills of Tennessee, there were times when I should have down shifted but, in the middle of an exciting curve, I chose not to but then hammered the throttle when coming out of the curve. A couple of times I really whacked it (really loaded the engine) and heard a different noise. I really can't hear it in my head today when I reminisce but it was really concerning the couple of times it happened. Maybe I asked too much of the engine at low RPM's & should have kicked it down a gear.

Any input? I'm not certain if "loading" the engine made this ticking evolve or the long hard ride home. I'm not real concern due to the fact the noise goes away when operating temps are reached. I have about 6800 miles on her & the rear tire needs replaced for the Sturgis trip (I know it won't make it there & back).

See ya.

Mine makes all kinds of different noises, most noteably a rattle at lower rpm and light throttle. There has been much discussion on this forum and others about engine noise, the gist seems to be that the R3 is just a noisy beast. I don't think you did any harm lugging her a little on your trip.

Rusty:

I got lazy on the way down and home on the 2 lanes and a couple of times rolled on the throttle pretty stoutly below 2,000 revs. I got a little spark knock even on mid grade. Maybe that's what you heard in Tennesee. It was pretty hot ambient temperature wise after all. She pulled fine but pinged a little. I too have a cold tick. Almost sounds like a leaking exhaust gasket at the exhaust ports but I've looked closely and see no tell tale exhaust trails.

My Bonnie sounds like a washing machine compared to the R3.

Rusty I remember you explaining the noise to me at the end of the twisties, you said then that it sounded like a knocking noise and I asked you then if the engine was laboring. Coming out of a bend at 45mph then flooring it in fifth gear does make some odd noises, maybe we should do the ride again and listen for it?:bch:

Scot, I would really enjoy trailing you thru that ride again. That was indeed the most exhilerating ride I've ever been on in my life. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I don't believe I'll ever have an opportunity like that again.

Yeeeeeee Haaaaaawwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Rusty, I suspect you dogged your pony. You and Scot... were right-on with the ice-breakers through those twists and sweeps. Do an Amsoil change-over.;) You could have had a oil degradation and maybe it's due anyway? It was a bit warm. Though my beast never dun sooo gud!

I have noticed a new ticking/buzzing since installing my windshield. I hear it mostly at low speed or at stop lights. The windshield must reflect the sound back at me.

Just Part of the Breed?

Rusty, Like I told you in Smashville my Beast has had the rattle right at 1700 to 2000 rpm since new. I didn't even think about it when I left Va. headed for Tn. All slab all the way with crusing speeds of 70-85 and smooth as glass. I have read the posts of worn keyways and bad cam chain spockets. She will be going in soon for the 10 k check up and I'll have it checked then. I'll probably be without an R/3 for a couple of weeks, so there may be some withdrawal problems. Those were some nice roads with a couple of anus puckering curves included. I am glad the RED Rockets were at the front all day. I will have to say that was the longest short ride I have ever been on. Did anyone else besides me see the monkey? A Blazer passed us on Int. 40 when we were heading back to the shop at the end of the ride. The woman in the passenger seat was holding a big ass monkey in her lap that was really checking out the Rockets as it went by. At least we now know that monkeys can have good taste.( No I hadn't had any beer that early in the day.)

Back