I feel sorry for her kids -if the Mother has no honour what kind of upbringing will the kids have?
All she has to do is fly back and face the music she would be a lot more repected-in my books anyhoo

I read in one report that all the deceased lad's family wants is an apology from her.

Apparently the State Department has declined to waive diplomatic immunity so that she can return for the investigation. There is something very odd going on here and I don't believe the public, nor the family, is getting the full story.

Her husband is diplomat the same way as 80% of people working on Russian , U.S., Chinese or any superpower embassy. He is NSA/CIA personnel, probably spying on british citizens. I would bet that allowing his wife to NOT be investigated is a plain security measure more than anything else. They will let politicians to do what is necessary, but she will disappear for a very long time.

Not justifying her acting at all, but fatal errors like this will always happen until we will have two systems (RHT and LHT). This is the only reason I have never been to Scotland on my motorcycle.. One stupid error and game over.. no thanks. Not gonna risk it. And I do not consider myself stupid or not capable to handle LHT. But the brain is hard wired one way or another, for most of us.

Her husband is diplomat the same way as 80% of people working on Russian , U.S., Chinese or any superpower embassy. He is NSA/CIA personnel, probably spying on british citizens. I would bet that allowing his wife to NOT be investigated is a plain security measure more than anything else. They will let politicians to do what is necessary, but she will disappear for a very long time.

Not justifying her acting at all, but fatal errors like this will always happen until we will have two systems (RHT and LHT). This is the only reason I have never been to Scotland on my motorcycle.. One stupid error and game over.. no thanks. Not gonna risk it. And I do not consider myself stupid or not capable to handle LHT. But the brain is hard wired one way or another, for most of us.
Call BS on this one they could have kept her on base and let the local police finish the investigation, instead her and the base commander have left a local family in ruins when a heartfelt apology was probably all that was needed, and I do not mean a computer generated letter from the state department saying how soory we are I mean the lady vising the family Mother to Mother and talking with them

Historically, US citizens fare exceedingly poorly in foreign courts. And there have been cases where the shoe was on the other foot. This is established practice for the greater good. Tragic, yes. And no one is getting away with anything.

Seriously?
Rather take my chances anywhere but here...honestly it’s a pantomime here where awards are made on theatrical performance not the truth. ( rant over)

drives on wrong side of the road
causes a fatal crash/accident
Sneaks out of the country?? yes Paul it is a hard one to judge.
We all know she would not be taken to jail, we all know she did not do it on purpose but the fact that she lied then fled the country without even a sorry to the young mans parents that is what has everyone fuming and this immunity **** please, all she has to do is fly back and face the music as said she will get her hand slapped and kicked out of the country with no chance of ever returning.
The UK authorities should consider making all Americans or any foreigners take a driving test if they come from a country who drives on the wrong side of the road.
Also whoever is in charge of the base needs a good kick up the arse also or maybe just bust him down to private for he handled this whole situation terribly

I was a driving Instructor in the U.S Army and one of my assignments was to teach and administer the exam (To units going to European theatre) that the German Government required all U.S Personell to pass before they where allowed to drive a POV (Privately owned vehicle)on the German road system. My team used to provide the study information ahead of time, but it never ceased to amaze any of us of the look of shock, as whole units, from the Commander to the lowest private failed the exam. Unless you studied, or grew up with the theory, it was not one of those exams that you could "wing it" and pass. Unfortunately, this only applied to military personell

Thank you for sharing that @Kim Turner . Given the potential consequences, and relative low investment cost, I'm amazed I was never required to pass anything like that going overseas. As I recall, similar to the OP, we were covered by Status of Forces Agreement (could own firearms for example, where the locals could not) and so I guess they were just taking their chances. I did have to pass a motorcycle safety course as a grasshopper lieutenant in order to ride on base.

I lived in England from 1981 to 1984 at the service of the US Government. US Air Force to be exact.

I owned a 1973 Ford Cortina. I never had an issue with driving.

When I made Sergeant I had 2 airman under me that got in trouble with the local law enforcement.

We handed them over quicker than you could shake a stick.

Nothing I loved more than standing in front of the CO with them.

I am so tired of politicians and diplomats and their special rules.

1265185950_PICT0014a-720x340.jpg

Last edited:
Back