Another attempt at fitting the Custom ITG filter.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
OK - girded on by Rob's Pipercross - decided to refit a custom ITG filter made by Colin (who once posted as Battersea). It is a top level filter with anti flame internal mesh as well as normal shaping wires. I'll bet it was a small fortune to have made.

It uses the Triumph rubber "bellmouths" - it was the predecessor of the design later done by Colin which RamAir were given unlimited permission to make and sell.
ITG3.JPG

I took it off as it has a VERY FCUKING LOUD intake roar - (it drowns out the open and short THUG exhausts and any wind noise/police sirens etc - even at very high speeds). But also (more worryingly) because my pants were rubbing the foam.
1) the foam was going to wear out.
2) my missus was getting annoyed with the oilstains on my trousers.

It will NOT fit under a BearClaw.

So today removed the OZ-Claw and found how much of the filter foam is actually pressed against the sound damping foam inside the OZ-Claw. It is a lot of lost filtration surface. - Note that with a normal bearclaw - there is no sound damping foam so this surface is not obdurated.

DSCF0001.JPG
All that hatched out area is not functional - The thingie behind is a heat wall and air flow addition so the filter gets ALL the air from the OZ-Claw opening blasted down onto it. The rear surface is fully exposed and filthy. The exposed surface was covered in seed, dirt, bugs etc. It's been on about 2 years with no maintenance - including two Spain-UK trips.

Offered up the ITG with its special cutaway claw bit (made by a friend here in Spain) - with a mesh added for wear resistance.

DSCF0002.JPG

The red circle is where my pants rub. The straps are just holding the mesh in place whilst i get the position right. It's stainless steel mesh and is a bugger to form around the domed end. Patience!. When I get it right the mesh will be screwed to the aluminum backplate and thread locked in place.

Whilst it almost certainly offers SOME airflow restriction - I think I am going to cover as per the photo rather than just the bit my knee rubs.

Will it stay fitted? - depends on a few factors. But a big one is whether I can live with the noise.

:coffee:

@barbagris
Amigo! You need things to do?
Come over here . . . I gots light to mount!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

OK - girded on by Rob's Pipercross - decided to refit a custom ITG filter made by Colin (who once posted as Battersea). It is a top level filter with anti flame internal mesh as well as normal shaping wires. I'll bet it was a small fortune to have made.

It uses the Triumph rubber "bellmouths" - it was the predecessor of the design later done by Colin which RamAir were given unlimited permission to make and sell.
ITG3.JPG

I took it off as it has a VERY FCUKING LOUD intake roar - (it drowns out the open and short THUG exhausts and any wind noise/police sirens etc - even at very high speeds). But also (more worryingly) because my pants were rubbing the foam.
1) the foam was going to wear out.
2) my missus was getting annoyed with the oilstains on my trousers.

It will NOT fit under a BearClaw.

So today removed the OZ-Claw and found how much of the filter foam is actually pressed against the sound damping foam inside the OZ-Claw. It is a lot of lost filtration surface. - Note that with a normal bearclaw - there is no sound damping foam so this surface is not obdurated.

DSCF0001.JPG
All that hatched out area is not functional - The thingie behind is a heat wall and air flow addition so the filter gets ALL the air from the OZ-Claw opening blasted down onto it. The rear surface is fully exposed and filthy. The exposed surface was covered in seed, dirt, bugs etc. It's been on about 2 years with no maintenance - including two Spain-UK trips.

Offered up the ITG with its special cutaway claw bit (made by a friend here in Spain) - with a mesh added for wear resistance.

DSCF0002.JPG

The red circle is where my pants rub. The straps are just holding the mesh in place whilst i get the position right. It's stainless steel mesh and is a bugger to form around the domed end. Patience!. When I get it right the mesh will be screwed to the aluminum backplate and thread locked in place.

Whilst it almost certainly offers SOME airflow restriction - I think I am going to cover as per the photo rather than just the bit my knee rubs.

Will it stay fitted? - depends on a few factors. But a big one is whether I can live with the noise.

:coffee:

With the stock "bear claw" and RamAir filter the only part touching is in the very back corner that you circled where your knee rubs? Even with Dynamat applied to the inside. o_O

With the stock "bear claw" and RamAir filter the only part touching is in the very back corner that you circled where your knee rubs? Even with Dynamat applied to the inside. o_O
Yup I know.
The lining in the OZ-Claw is quite thick (10mm?) and spongy. I lined my original Claw with a dynamat-type mat and that did not touch either except as you indicate.
The OZ-Claw however does have huge open vent that forces air in across the top face. A standard bearclaw does not. And that difference IS palpable.

The fact it seals against the side of the ramair means no hot air is sucked up off the oil-tank and radiator draught. Pretty much a RAMMED-AIR combination. tbh the RamAir with OZclaw has served me fine - AIT lower than stock claw - and also considerably quieter than stock claw (with or without mat). I'd say an almost perfect partnership.

That little heat/air wall thingie reduced AIT by 3-4°C.

Nice work! I found my bike has my RAMAIR like that, pushed up against bearclaw even using the stock claw with nothing lining it. That was one of the primary reasons I went to the Pipercross setup.

DARN! Trump's using it right now.
Should have had him swing by and pick you up on his recent trip back from EU.
Yup that's fine - Some light entertainment from your Jester would help pass the time. My days of flying 3 sheets to the wind are gone.

Nice work! I found my bike has my RAMAIR like that, pushed up against bearclaw even using the stock claw with nothing lining it. That was one of the primary reasons I went to the Pipercross setup.
The swine was that originally I had THE PROTOTYPE RAMAIR fitted. That was spot on - and more importantly (to me) it looked all prototype-y. But when I took the R3 to be measured for the STAGE2 filter (which has never appeared) they insisted on putting me a production filter on.

I must ask them about the STAGE2 in September (They're about 40 miles from my Mum - and driving past Stonehenge is never uninspiring - also there is a pub close that does good lunches) . They were quite animated about it - but I wonder if their other partner brought them back to earth a bit. Nice guy too, but you don't get to drive Maseratis by wasting time and effort. The Stage2 was going to come with a different claw - Rammed-air. Aimed at 300+bhp-ers.

I very nearly took a Pipercross route as Wayne Tripp had some special backplates he'd made up with integral molded Bellmouths - and he offered me one at a very reasonable price. But I confess I did not want to and still don't want to relocate the water bottle. We all have our foibles.

That bottle was the main reason this project took me so long to do, I never wanted to deal with moving it lol.

Back