Oil filter question

Darron1117

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hello all,
Is there a good oil filter I can purchase off the shelf at an Autozone, O'Reilly rather than ordering? My chrome filter cover won't sit flush with the Mobile 1.

Thanks,

There are many that will work beside OEM. Some are short about 2.5 inches and some longer about 3.25 inches. When I use a longer one that the chrome cover does not completely cover I paint the end towards the engine flat black so it is not so noticeable.

I have been using the Purolator PL14612 and PL14610 (Yellow paint) and the P14612 and P14610 (white paint) for years. I have a stash of about 6 still on my shelf. I purchased them several years ago. Either size works. 10 is longer than 12. 12 fits under the chrome cover completely.

Unfortunately Purolator changed the design of the latest version of these so they are no longer usable. The filters are now painted red and the change is the inner steel deck is now made convex and will not allow the filter to screw on tight enough to seal. The older ones I have are concave and seal very well. Now Purolator has come out with a new version that is PBL14612 and PBL14610, called "The Boss". I have only seen these in pictures, but they appear to be flat or slightly concave. If that is true they should fit well enough to seal. I guess I need to go take a look at them in the store.

Take a look at this video about the 3 Purolator grades. Just happens to be the 3 levels of the P/Pl/PBL 14610. You can see how the P and PL have convex steel decks and the PLB has concave steel deck. I think the Boss (PBL) will work from what I see.

This video shows the shorter PBL 14612. This is the size that fits completely under the chrome cover. It looks like the PBL filters have a concave steel deck so it should seal tightly. Take a look.

Last edited:
There are many that will work beside OEM. Some are short about 2.5 inches and some longer about 3.25 inches. When I use a longer one that the chrome cover does not completely cover I paint the end towards the engine flat black so it is not so noticeable.

I have been using the Purolator PL14612 and PL14610 (Yellow paint) and the P14612 and P14610 (white paint) for years. I have a stash of about 6 still on my shelf. I purchased them several years ago. Either size works. 10 is longer than 12. 12 fits under the chrome cover completely.

Unfortunately Purolator changed the design of the latest version of these so they are no longer usable. The filters are now painted red and the change is the inner steel deck is now made convex and will not allow the filter to screw on tight enough to seal. The older ones I have are concave and seal very well. Now Purolator has come out with a new version that is PBL14612 and PBL14610, called "The Boss". I have only seen these in pictures, but they appear to be flat or slightly concave. If that is true they should fit well enough to seal. I guess I need to go take a look at them in the store.

Hey, thanks for the great info 👍

...amsoil....one of the best!
I've been using AMSOIL as well. In fact they sell a chromed version I use since my cover slipped off some time ago. My only concern is without the cover I don't have rock and debris protection. I guess off-roading is now a bad idea... :whitstling: :p
-MIG

Back