Airbox Elimination

SMLWNKR

.040 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket 3 Classic
Searched hard but could not find this info. I purchased a 2006 R3 Classic and the previous owner had installed the 3 K&N filters and had an unknown tune it. It ran great. The bike then developed a stumbling issue at highway speeds. The dealer could not fix it and requested I go back to stock so they could put a stock tune in an try again. I purchased the parts, they installed them, and still couldn't fix the problem. I finally directed them to install a new set of plug wires and SURPRISE the stumbling was fixed. Now I have a neutered R3 with stock intake. My question - I still have the 3 K&N filters and the hardware. What needs to be done with the temp sensor and any other device that is monitoring the intake air on the stock system. I am able to handle the removal of the stock intake and load a new tune, I just can't find any info on how to address the sensors. Input please.

Ditto about the dealer not knowing anything. Basically if it wasn't in a book then had no idea.

First thing NEVER go back to that dealer for he knows not what he is doing, the air temp sensor can go into the side of #1 air filter, if you do a search for K&N filters you will find quite a few posts showing how to do it.
That sounds like a reasonable approach. The previous owner did not do this since I do not have a hole in any of the filters. I will search this, but is it as basic as snipping a neat hole in the side so the sensor has a friction fit and will not fall out??

Ditto about the dealer not knowing anything. Basically if it wasn't in a book then had no idea.
Sad story I know. The service manager had a very humiliated look when I picked it up. They spent hours on the thing and had me in 3 or 4 times to test ride to confirm and each time was a no, keep looking. Then when my directive fixed the issue they only charged me for standard diagnostic and labor for plug wires. They took a loss for sure.

That sounds like a reasonable approach. The previous owner did not do this since I do not have a hole in any of the filters. I will search this, but is it as basic as snipping a neat hole in the side so the sensor has a friction fit and will not fall out??
He probably had it covered with a little filter and hung it up by the throttle bodies. Normally a little k&n filter but ypu can go to the local parts store like advance and use what ever brand they have hanging on the shelf. The key is to hang it up in fresh air not the hot stuff under the tank.

Last edited:
Exactly, I used a little silicone to hold it in place, as said a nice neat tight hole

Here is how @Rocket Scientist placed his. From this post which explains some K & N filters

upload_2017-9-7_12-56-14.jpeg

Back