Accessory Driving/Fog light troubles

dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
I'm on day 4 of an 18-day, around-the-USA ride on my R3T.

I've hit some bumpy roads to be sure. I noticed today, in Montana, that the left driving light was out. No prob, I brought extra bulbs. Looking at the light when I stopped, that wasn't the issue, as the bulb looks fine. I swapped it out anyhow, and the other one doesn't work either.

I jiggled some wires (technical term) and looked for anytging losse. Nuthin'. I'm not in a place where I can strip it down so I gotta leave it for now.

Any ideas what might've happened? I'm not driving too much at night, but it would be nice to have them both working so the cagers will at least see me as they turn into my lane...

Thanks in advance, folks.

(BTW: I'm riding the GAMA around the US. That's the Great American Motorcycle Adventure. So far, so good!)

Sorry I can't help you with the issue you are having...but I am envious of you being able to go on that trip.

On July 5th I will be starting on my own GAMA (Great American Mazda6 Adventure around the US)...three weeks on the west side of the Mississippi and about 12 to 14 days east of the Mississippi. Hopefully my lights will hold up.

Good luck on the rest of your trip.

Dennis

08 dtg KAF
10 dtg Dubai
11 dtg Home for good!

Can't really help with your problem here, I have the lights fitted but not with the triumph harness I did it myself but the bulbs are H3's & from what you say the fault must be in the wiring but if only one bulb is out then I can't see it being the harness, the 12v live side will likely be ok as it is a spade connector but the earth (ground) is to the mounting screw of the base plate of the bulb, try checking this out if not already, I think it's the best bet. Don't let it spoil your trip though.

Thanks for that tip. I arrived in Rapid City and saw the Crazy Horse memorial. After the requisite beverages, I plan on tackling the possible fault.

OK, maybe tomorrow after Mt. Rushmore!

It's only one light, so you're right--I won't let it spoil the ride.

Can't really help with your problem here, I have the lights fitted but not with the triumph harness I did it myself but the bulbs are H3's & from what you say the fault must be in the wiring but if only one bulb is out then I can't see it being the harness, the 12v live side will likely be ok as it is a spade connector but the earth (ground) is to the mounting screw of the base plate of the bulb, try checking this out if not already, I think it's the best bet. Don't let it spoil your trip though.

Right. The ground is the screw/housing contact. Make sure it's making contact.

That sounds fun. Uh, isn't the Miata considered...uh, ...;).

Not that there's anything wrong with...Miatas.

And here's the site:

Home - The Great American Motorcycle Adventure

My car is a Mazda 6...not the Miata...besides the Miata (MX-5), nice as it is, is not a touring car...have you seen the trunk? My old beetle bags on my Rocket had more storage I think:D.

Dennis

07 dtg KAF
09 dtg Dubai
10 dtg Home for good!

Back