A shotgun blast of yes and no questions... : )

Fairchild

.020 Over
Ride
05 Rocket 3
Hi! Long time reader - first time writer. - I have taken to thinking of this site as the "Hall of Justice" and you guys are like the superfriends...you have answered so many questions I have had already. You guys are obviously very busy so I would like to take up as little time as possible...

First the overview...I have one of the oldest 05's and would like to upgrade the pipes to Jardines and possibly do something with the airbox...then probably leave it the hell alone. After combing through as many relevant posts as my head can hold I'm still left with 7 questions...they are all true/false or short answer...

1.The PCIII is more familiar to the dealers around here...The tuneboy can do more... For a simple pipe change and possibly an airbox mod....which would be the preferable system for tuning?

2. The Tuneboy "pods" are muy bueno and fit excellently under the bearclaw.... T or F?

3. (If 3 is false)...I would recommend instead...______________.

4. Using the tuneboy edits removes the need to manually remove the secondary TB butterflies....T/F

5. Between the PCIII and the tuneboy I would say _________ has the more accurate "factory map" (of the configuration I'm thinking of).

6. Clutch plates can be glazed badly in as little as 1000 miles, especially if you try a lot of wheelies. T/F

7. Dyno tuning is essential for every bike using the setup above... T/F

Thanks guys for any help in advance. I hope someday to advance to the level of "Wonder Twin" (at least that guy who turns into the bucket of water).

secondaries

I cant really see why anyone wouldnt take the secondaries out, regardless of what you are using for tunes (unless you ARE NOT modifying the intake to go to 3 filters over TBs). It takes litterally 5 to 10 minutes and little skill to take the secondaries off once you have gotten all the other junk airbox parts out. The only caution is my screws were not brass ones, and the heads can strip real easy. If you have the exact screwdriver head, you are good to go. 6 screws. An extra set of hands is nice to to hold everything in place while you screw. (dont go there !! :p )

The throttle response is def. a little twitchier without the 2ndaries.

You how the bike wants to thrust real quick to get out of the hole? With the secondaries go, it wants to already "be there". no zooom, just zm.

Paul

I run the ' pod ' filters . Have done for a long time , have never worried about them going on fire

as far as I know only one person has had a fire
I have run mine for several thousand miles with unifilters and no secondaries

Tune boy if you like to tinker and want to be able to Do it yourself and have complete control, yes it can remove the secondary issue, but its not the same as actually removing them.

Id say if all you want is to swap a st of pipes then probably ok with PC but the tuneboy will pay for itself overtime

I haven't had a single clutch problem, and I ride the crap out of mine

as far as the unis, I'd say go for it and order two sets when you do cause it just will be easier to keep fresh ones on it

then again, quite honestly if your worried then leave it stock and enjoy it as is,nothign to prove

Good answers all.

[1] Dyno tuning your bike is not necessary if you can find the right tune file for your setup, but if you want the most from your bike then you must dyno tune it and in that you are tied to PCIII unless you can find a Tuneboy tuner in your area. Otherwise, I'd get Tuneboy over PCIII any day.

[2] I used to use the Unifilters and personally don't recommend them. Not only are they a fire hazard but are freekin' messy and ooze oil all over the bike components around and under them.

[3] If I still had standard air intake, I'd be using K&N.

[4] Basically true. Personally, it is not technically "correct" to just remove the secondaries because the ECU fuel maps will not match what is going on. This means you'll run lean at lower throttle settings but probably won't hurt anything at least in the short-term. It'd be best to remove the secondaries and dynotune the bike after so it is all tuned correctly. If you do want to remove the secondaries and not dynotune then I'd recommend using Tuneboy to make sure your secondary maps are all 100% open so the ECU knows about it and matches fuel/air better.

[5] Tuneboy is the only tool that has the actual factory maps, but far as custom maps for nonstock setups, there is no difference because they would all be non-optimal for your bike anyways since they were all taken from dynotuning someone else's bike. So this isn't really an issue.

[6] The clutch plates won't go in 1000 miles but closer to 10000 to 12000 if you're hard on them, which is about half a normal life. I had to replace my heavy duty Barnett clutch plates after about 12000 miles of use or one season of riding for me. If you do wheelies, burnouts, drag launches VERY frequently then I'd expect the plates to go even sooner, probably a few thousand miles.

[7] Not essential but like said, if you want the best from YOUR bike then you have to dynotune it.

Hey guys - I can't thank you enough for the great feedback...
I think this is what I'm gonna do:

1. the jardines are already en route...
2. gonna go with the tuneboy i think...and try to get Mikes Cycle to work with me with it....I have Dyno time set up for the last day in Aug. I figure by then i can have the **** thing pretty well figured out. I mean - It can't be THAT awful different from the PCIII if it takes the same tunes after all...Just seems to me that eliminating that little box and skipping the middle-man...so to speak...is more efficient.

(actually this may sound hoplessly dense...but why can't any dealer do anything the "tuneboy program" can do with just a dyno and the little activa ECU thingy they all have? I mean...you'd think the whole ECU would be alittle more user friendly...) I miss jets... :cry:

3. gonna take out the secondary butterflies manually...even if the tuneboy "full power in all gears" tunes keeps these mostly open...they may still impede airflow...besides - the potential risk of dropping screws into my motor excites me. i want to try the triple filters...but i think I may try a k&n setup rather than the foam filters for reasons mentioned above...(still up in the air about that one....how much possible difference can there be between the triples and a good flowing underseat unit?

4. Gonna get new clutch plates and springs from Barnett...Erv's sales here in Tomahawk is a dealer and after i demonstrated the horrid shriek my clutch makes whenever i try to feather it under any throttle load (otherwise it's fine). The guys there agree with me that I glazed them....but hey - posting the first ever Wheelie pic on Triumphrat.net the day i got the bike has to be worth something... :p

Again all - thanks so much for making up my mind for me...otherwise I'd be liable to waffle for ANOTHER year....like I been doing since 04...I mean, so far I've managed to put a sticker on it.

CUSTOM, BABY!!! :D

Huh...other posters gave the impression that oil and backspit were issues with the triple filters...I guess in the end its no big deal either way. thanks again!

Back