8 years old 5000 miles and no service history - where to start.

DavidGlasgowRocket

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3
Hello All, wake up the bugler for the first post.

I picked up a second hand R3, 8 years old with 5k miles on the clock. A few battle scars but enjoying the work as much as the ride I have taken this project on knowing the bike is used and with no history... slap slap... OK... so my question to the group, are there any big items that need addressing immediately. I've had a good look around the bike, checked the usual and find it in good to excellent condition/wear. I'm toying with the idea of dropping it in to Triumph with instructions to do "all that has been missed over the last 8 years" but do enjoy the challenge of working on bikes myself.

Given this scenario, what advice would you offer.... oil, filters for sure... pads and discs are good, air filter is clean, just put a new battery in it... needs new tires... what about the engine, are there any cam chain adjusters, valve clearances... and how about the drive train, I imagine there is a lube/service element to that.

Looking forward to your advice and guidance.

You could just start it up and ride but gosh, what's an oil change but good insurance? Yes, flush the brake lines, maybe flush the coolant too. Heck, after so little riding the bike is liable to have an orgasm if you give it all that service!

Valves don't need to be checked until 10k, self adjusting cam chain tensioner. Looks like with the new oil, battery, tires, etc you are good to go for a while. An 8 year old Rocket with only 5k miles is a good find. Have fun!

Basic stuff as with any used bike, new brake fluid,new anti freeze,oil and filter, check the age of the tyres will probably need new ones, check the age of the battery you never know it might be quite new if not new battery, good polish and clean with good old elbow grease, when you change the oil park the bike in front of Parkhead and dump the oil on the ground.:D
Low miles but check the rear end also might have to grease the splines.

Check the fuel tank for old fuel that may have turned to varnish and coated the tank. If so, It could flake off with new use and clog the fuel filter. Might be time to change the fork oil as well.

Back