I put this one on from Amazon. Had to make a custom bracket however. It's very close to a harley batwing and works great!

Great price, simple fitment, easy to tinker with and wing nuts:thumbsup::cool:.
Thanks for the amazon link.
1648267635746.png
1648267685573.png
1648267657829.png

Personally I would slope it back it a bit and if you can get a two blade aerodynamic effect between them. The air will stick to the inside of the outer larger screen and flow up the inside of that screen and reduce the buffeting air coming over the top of the screen. Same as 'laminar lip' principle.
You get the effect of a higher screen without the buffeting

1648267579492.png

WELCOME! from Tucson, AZ... I definitely don't see the new R3's as set-up touring machines (especially since they are more of a Speed Triple upgrade with the Rocket name...) You can make them such and get close though. I just rode my HD V-Rod Muscle 1K miles in two days... NOT a touring bike by ANY means.
-MIG
I did the Ironbutt on the GT and went 1100 miles In the 24 hours. It did a great job, very little soreness and it can still be loaded up with luggage. Po folks like me with only one scoot have to make do.

The bracket I made to secure the “batwing” shield could be angled while I was creating it. I tried the angle it’s at now and nailed it on the first attempt so I made it permanent to finish it up. My hands are in a still pocket of air and for the rest of me it’s almost complety still pocket. The only air comes up off the tank and hits my chin slightly but it’s not annoying unless it’s real cold and I could wear a scarf or something to keep me warm if I had to. I’d also have to do something for my legs in cold weather but I don’t like to ride in the cold anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem. I wished I could move the whole screen straight back a few inches but I didn’t want to cut the screen and I didn’t want it up in my view so I tried it where it is and it works. The screen is very sturdy for the money, I’m very happy with it. I traded in a Harley Road Glide for this motorcycle so I wanted to recreate the wind protection the best I could.

While that fairing is reasonably priced and appears to be functional, it doesn't do it for me in the looks department. I think it is standing too far upright and really detracts from the lines of the bike. So far, the only fairing that really complements the later Rockets (from my limited search) is the one from Corbin... The only issue with it... $$$$s

PS - my opinion wasn't meant to be critical. What works for you is good. :thumbsup:

Hi Gregger, No worries I thank you for your input. I knew this would not be liked by many for the looks of it. It's funny, I did somewhat the same thing to my Kawasaki ZH2 which is a very fast supercharged Nakked liter bike. I wanted really good wind protection so I put a big screen on it and my idea at the time was they really screwed up the look of this bike with their angry insect look so I couldn't do it any harm. :) But in the case of the R3R I loved the look of the bike and while I know the big screen does it no favors I still favor function over form. I always put a top case on my bikes to so that's in the works! I added the passenger backrest to prep for the oversized luggage rack on order.

I own the older R3. I put a lot of mental energy into imagining how to design and fasten a fixed fairing to the R3, essentially mimicking a Road Glide fixed fairing with speakers, maybe a GPS. . Trouble is, there's very little mounting points. One would have to weld or bolt on a mount to the steering head, plus a bracket off the engine bolt perhaps. Just an idea, anyway 🇦🇺

I did the Ironbutt on the GT and went 1100 miles In the 24 hours. It did a great job, very little soreness and it can still be loaded up with luggage. Po folks like me with only one scoot have to make do.
Cool Cool... and understand. It took me 30 years to be able to have a pair of 2-wheeled girlfriend (thanks to my Bride who insisted!)
-MIG

I own the older R3. I put a lot of mental energy into imagining how to design and fasten a fixed fairing to the R3, essentially mimicking a Road Glide fixed fairing with speakers, maybe a GPS. . Trouble is, there's very little mounting points. One would have to weld or bolt on a mount to the steering head, plus a bracket off the engine bolt perhaps. Just an idea, anyway 🇦🇺
Back in 2016 I went into a Harley dealer with the intent to get a Street Glide (batwing fairing mounted on fork) but they didn't have the color I wanted so I called a friend who told me look at the Road Glide with the fixed shark fairing as they handle the wind better. So I ended up buying the Road Glide which was a nice bike but I've never ridden a Street Glide to compare so I've always wondered how different it might be. Recently, when I went out for my test ride with the Rocket and big shield mounted to the fork it was a very windy day and I didn't feel like the wind was pushing me around too much so I'd guess there isn't a huge difference.

Also relevant to this thread. When I bought the Rocket without test riding it I was initially not happy with it based on two low speed road tests around my neighborhood. It took a long ride with a group on higher speed roads to make me appreciate the engine and drive train more but it was supposed to be warmer that day than it got and I froze my ass off on the first half of the ride since I wasn't dressed for all that cold wind. That experience cemented my decision to put a big screen on it. :) Now I can't wait for the next big ride!

I didn't add any speakers but I do love to have the GPS front and center. That was part of my ZH2 windshield mount and part of this one too. I just put a ram mount ball on the shield mount and use whatever sized ram mount arm to get the Garmin Zumo XT motorcycle GPS right up in my face. Love it as you don't have to take eyes to far off the road to see it. And new this time I bought a separate USB battery powerpack to power the Zumo independently as I like for it to stay on when I switch off the bike so I can plan or review a trip. Time will tell how the battery life of this pack is. I wanted to get a pack with "pass through charging" so the GPS could be powered by the bike but stay powered when i shut the bike off but it was frustrating to try and find one. If this pack lasts super long then it will kind of be a mute point but I just like the concept of a UPS for the GPS. :)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_289b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_289b.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Rocket GPS.jpg
    Rocket GPS.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 34
Hello all new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2022Rocket 3 GT. I love the bike but have noticed a lot of wind buffeting on my chest. I installed a Madstad windshield. I have adjusted it and spoken with the company who are very helpful. I am still not satisfied and was looking at the Corbin fairing. It is quite expensive and was wondering if anyone had experience with it or if anyone had any other suggestions. I plan to do a lot of long distance touring and would like not to get my a$$ kicked by the wind. Thanks so much.
I was looking at the corbin fairing also. For now I opted for a windshield from 7jrock. I got the 20" tinted that I feel is going to work perfectly. ( I just put it on last night and haven't ridden yet). But I'm 5'8" and I'm just looking over it, and the forward curve is going to make the wind go over nhead.

Attachments

• wind 2.jpg
    wind 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 55
Back