2020 Rocket engine guard heat.

I'm rushing it as fast as I can. The heat shields and plenum covers are going out faster than I can get them in. I should have it faster than advertised but I don't want to make promises I can't keep so keep the the factory ETAs
Looking at the quality of the exhaust guards, I am sure other parts will be worth the wait.

I received the smaller R heat shields. I will be sending it off for moulding in the next week as well. Also the exhaust endcaps.

Here's a clear example of size difference between the 2.

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_161156.jpg
    IMG_20210902_161156.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20210902_161206.jpg
    IMG_20210902_161206.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66
Can anyone give me the torque setting they are using on the carbon heat shields.

Anyone know the exact threading/size of the bolts holding the heat shields on? If I can find some longer one, I can allow for more room between the headers and the shields which should fix my issue.
Another helpful tip to keep the shields from getting really hot is to purchase 1/8 in. longer stainless torx bolts, and use thicker fiber plumbers washers to let more air pass thru
between the header and the shield. Just that mod brought the shield temperature down another 40 degrees. Getting rid of the metal washers helped also i am sure.

The right side of the engine gets pretty warm during summer riding season, so to cure 90% of the heat I did the following.
Removed the stainless steel heat shields from all 3 headers and lined the insides with exhaust header wrap using silicone gasket sealer as an adhesive.
I cut the heat shield fabric to 1/8 in. smaller than the exact inside dimensions of the shields so u couldnt see the material ..

It works sooooo well, you can actually touch the shields when the engine is very hot, and its just warm to the touch. Triumph engineering, are u listening!!

Sonnie..
Does just one layer do it?

Does just one layer do it?
If the new screws are 1/8 longer, you will need 1/8 thickness washers. Or you can stack thinner washers together if u cant find the thicker ones.
Most plumbing supply stores sell the fiber faucet washers. The extra air space distance from the header allows so much more air to flow through..

Another helpful tip to keep the shields from getting really hot is to purchase 1/8 in. longer stainless torx bolts, and use thicker fiber plumbers washers to let more air pass thru
between the header and the shield. Just that mod brought the shield temperature down another 40 degrees. Getting rid of the metal washers helped also i am sure.
getting rid of metal washers? mine didn't have washers

My 2020 GT had 1/16 in. stainless washers between the shield and the header. A friend i ride with has a 2020 R with no washers. I think Triumph had
the idea to get the shields farther away from the header but the thin factory washers were just too thin to do much good. After riding his R3 there is much less
heat transfer to the leg because of the footrest being farther back.

I finally got a set of shields from CarbonFBR - and they are fantastic! Excellent quality, and quite a huge difference in temperature. Rode it in shorts to try out (which was impossible prior), and it was tolerable. That engine is still a firebreather, so you'd want pants, but at least you're not risking blisters anymore.

Back