2020 Rocket 3R Hot Engine.....

bzboy01

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket III R
Hi. I have a 2020 Rocket 3R and I just did the 1000 km service. Recently I have been feeling hot air coming from the engine side. On the right side of the bike where it says Rocket 3R, the engine portion gets real hot. Is this normal? We have hot weather here (35 deg C). Can someone please share their experience. Thank you....

You shouldn't be feeling hot air. The metal pieces should be radiating heat, but no actual air should be blowing out. Headers loose?
I only ever feel heat from the shields and I live in a hot desert environment. Guess I'm going to learn for sure once the dead of summer hits.

Last edited:
Hi. I have a 2020 Rocket 3R and I just did the 1000 km service. Recently I have been feeling hot air coming from the engine side. On the right side of the bike where it says Rocket 3R, the engine portion gets real hot. Is this normal? We have hot weather here (35 deg C). Can someone please share their experience. Thank you....
If its stationary and intermitted most likely the radiator fan kicking in which is normal

The engine does get hot in hot weather. We have had a sweltering summer in SA. The Rocket has two radiator fans. The one on the righthand side blows air over and past the exhaust headers, which causes it to feel hotter. The main thing is to keep your Coolant Temperature in view on the dash - the engine should generally live between 4.5 and 5 bars with the Chronos theme. Not sure about the Quartz theme. There is also a high-temperature warning light that will light up if the engine temperature gets out of hand.

As far as you are not stuck in a traffic jam, it is uncomfortable but it is OK. When I am back home to park the bike, I remove the seat. It is so hot around all theses plastic parts...

The engine does get hot in hot weather. We have had a sweltering summer in SA. The Rocket has two radiator fans. The one on the righthand side blows air over and past the exhaust headers, which causes it to feel hotter. The main thing is to keep your Coolant Temperature in view on the dash - the engine should generally live between 4.5 and 5 bars with the Chronos theme. Not sure about the Quartz theme. There is also a high-temperature warning light that will light up if the engine temperature gets out of hand.
I am feeling the hot air from the right side of the seat and from the right side of the engine and its mostly when the bike is idle like stuck in traffic. I am watching the coolant temperature on the dash, and it seems normal. Just thought I should ask everyone here for their feedback.

As far as you are not stuck in a traffic jam, it is uncomfortable but it is OK. When I am back home to park the bike, I remove the seat. It is so hot around all theses plastic parts...
That's what I realized this morning. The plastic parts around the engine were all hot, which seemed alarming.......

Not sure what the factory thermostat is, but after a long ride and some fairly long idle time where the fans come on, my IR thermometer reading is just a little over
200 degrees F. It feels hotter, but 200 isnt a dangerous temp for coolant.

I find the radiator fan air hotter on the left side of the motorcycle when moving. I think the fan on the left side has a larger diameter than the one on the right, and the fan's speed vary with temperature. At a stop or stop and go traffic, the right the right side gets hottest!

Back