2020 Rocket 3 TFC details released!

To be fair, Triumph have a near impossible task: with motorcycle sales falling in general, and particularly worrisome is the zoning out of the young folks (18-39): where do they put limited R&D for maximum return on investment.

Looking at Union Pacific Railroad, for example -- they do not deal with consumers -- yet, they have an active steam program (just about to run for the first time in sixty years the largest steam locomotive ever built

and have two other big steam engines -- all part of their marketing program, in this case for average people who influence politicians on policy that can affect freight railroads).

I suspect, the Rocket will only ever be that kind of niche for Triumph: to create good will and excitement that translates into more sales for Speed Triples, Tigers, and Bonnevilles.

And that will mean the Rocket will only get as little as Triumph think they can get away with, and still generate positive sales for the company - and these are scary times for motorcycle companies.

Last edited:
For the same price - you could have a force fed and Carpenterised 450bhp monster (@warp9.9 ) with a strengthened 6 speed box (@R-III-R Turbo ) and even fly in @Neville Lush to tune the blighter. Wheels from Deget racing. Custom suspension. You have 1 of 1. And still have spare change for lots and lots of tyres.
Mentioned that a few times.

You could have a 2.5L 6 speed 400bhp 2018 (even 2019 if you register a dealer floor one now) Rocket III for less money than the Rocket 3 TFC.

I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed in Triumph now.
There are a lot of details not released yet. Is it a 5 or 6 speed. When will my TFC be delivered. When is the ordinary Rocket 3 2020 details coming out. What is the model variant range like. What is the bore x stroke of the new 2.5L engine. What is the exact cc. Etc etc

And only 168bhp, 163ft lb from the new improved 2.5L engine.. the old bike was 163 ftlb and 146hp, wtf.
From the rumours this bike was to be a 200hp world beating performer.. then when I placed a deposit the rumour was reduced to 180hp... and it finally comes out at 168hp :(

Triumph i want my deposit back, I'll buy a turbo kit for my Hayabusa..

You and how many others I wonder? ;)

bob

Too much marketing for the real thing. High expetations for lower specs. It seems that few owners will maintan the option of buy it. I can fool myself but I think they will not sell all 750 units. I'm glad that all were reserved when i tried to make my deposit. Thank you Triumph I will keep my money in my pocket.

But the old one was only just Euro3 compliant (I found out the hard way) - and the new one has to be Euro5. tbh - I am really surprised they got more bhp than before.

I bet Yamaha sooner or later will improve specs of VMAX with agreement of EURO 5 Compliant.

Last edited:
To be fair, Triumph have a near impossible task: with motorcycle sales falling in general, and particularly worrisome is the zoning out of the young folks (18-39): ... - and these are scary times for motorcycle companies.
I am really not entirely sure what the future is for urban dwellers: which, it seems, is a growing trend. Not just bikes. Pretty much any carbon burner is in the line of fire right now. My niece is a petro-chemist with Shell. She thinks she will need to move to India to stay one. I sort of hope she goes - for entirely selfish reasons mind you.

The only rather satisfying thing is that a recent study has shown, that, with the manufacture and replacement of batteries taken into account: a diesel is less environmentally damaging than an electric car. And diesels are far more efficient than petrol. This may explain why my new car - a 2L turbo diesel - complies with Euro6.2 and produces 180CV and uses less fuel than an R3 despite weighing a good 4 times as much.

But then - I am an anachronism. Though many of us are, I suspect, equally thus.

Back