Here is picture of t-handle wrench I use. Open pannier lid to get access, than seat comes off easily. Most times I don't remove the backrest. The Touring has leads for installing a power socket in left infill panel.
IMG_20200322_101339.jpg

Last edited:
I can't tell anything from the pictures on a phone, since they're not full size, when I try to expand they revert back to thumbnails.
I'm really puzzled, maybe yours is somehow different from a 2010?
It's inconvenient, but I don't understand how it could be difficult?

I can't tell anything from the pictures on a phone, since they're not full size, when I try to expand they revert back to thumbnails.
I'm really puzzled, maybe yours is somehow different from a 2010?
It's inconvenient, but I don't understand how it could be difficult?

That was my thought, I wonder if he is going after the right bolts and if he is what tool he is using. Any long allen is all you need. This has been a confusing thread.

bob

There are two bolts on either side. With a 6mm allen key , It is hard to reach that bolt . I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this.

I have alway used a socket wrench (allen key attachment) with a 3 inch extension. I open the pannier lids and it's easy. I can have the seat off in under 3 minutes.
The socket rubs a bit on the bottom of the upholstery, but not a problem otherwise.

Check out this thread from @Mad Dog

Easier seat bolts?

He found a solution using Quick Release pins. Or you can try my lower cost solution using M8 x 90 mm lag bolts.

Don’t order the quick release pins from West Marine, I’ve been through several of them, they don’t hold up, the little balls fall out. I ordered a different brand and type today, we will see how they hold up.

Item # LBT-SS3104, Ball Locking T-Handles - 304 Stainless Steel On Monroe Engineering Products

I lost a couple, I wish I could hit size closer, but there are only a couple sizes. I accidentally double ordered, luckily

I fabricated two black nobs using 6 or 7 inch threaded metric rod. Works great. Don't need tools. I"ll get pictures to show what they look like.

IMG-8489.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following this topic with interest for years -- particularly after early on, the tech at the dealer cross-threaded one of them - so irritating indication they just don't care (and suggests one be leery of everything else they did, particularly if hidden). I retapped the hole. Only recently, I elected to go with large head, serrated thumb screws. So no extra tool needed with those.

Back