I had the same trouble on my '06 classic. Here's what worked for me.
Pulled the rear Throttle Positioning Sensor, put it up on my bench. It's a simple potentiometer. Set it face up (flat blade screwdriver type socket), spray some WD-40 into it, cycle the pot several times with a small flat blade, this cleans the wiper and circuit. Re install in the same position that you removed it.
Adjust the rotation for the best idle speed, one way kills it, the other high revs it.
Not that hard if you're mechanically inclined. I've been riding it just fine for a couple years now. I think it picks up grime from the road.

Don't be skeered, and don't fall for lousy mech's that advocate jacking up the radiator cap and parking a new bike under it.... new throttle body.... That guy needs to work at Crispy Creme!

can you tell me where this is located? picture or something. My bike has been idling at 2000, i don't trust the shop as they keep breaking something. now she is starting to choke at 80 mph if i let off the throttle at all. i have 48,000 miles on mine it's a 2007 rocket III classic. I have zard exhaust. any help is greatly appreciated.

can you tell me where this is located? picture or something. My bike has been idling at 2000, i don't trust the shop as they keep breaking something. now she is starting to choke at 80 mph if i let off the throttle at all. i have 48,000 miles on mine it's a 2007 rocket III classic. I have zard exhaust. any help is greatly appreciated.

You need to replace the Primary TPS - It's the one at the back of the throttle body

100065348-0-2.jpg
#2 - PART #T1245113 $137.04

6C42FAC3-BE39-4DDF-AC96-4978D1BD9FFC.jpeg
7429C141-F84F-4321-98AC-7879B4B69333.jpeg
A9B5087F-1F91-4A86-9B49-25F235F57976.jpeg
6D9A3CE3-0870-4CCB-BFA0-1C2467254537.png
70724ED6-EFD4-4350-A7BA-E6AD2A94285F.jpeg
70724ED6-EFD4-4350-A7BA-E6AD2A94285F.jpeg

Take a look at these.... wow I’ve got some cleaning to do. Been a great season!

so this is what i need to take off and clean right, and then when i put it back i'll have to turn it to get the right idle?

so this is what i need to take off and clean right, and then when i put it back i'll have to turn it to get the right idle?
Yes correct. The torx screw holds it in the ‘correct’ position along the adjustment range..
Take a look at yours before pulling it and you’ll see the slot, maybe mark the position with some white out to reference the re install.
The harness connector is pretty obvious. Seems like I had to lift the tank.
Once you get it up on the bench, set it up so you’re looking at the rotating slot that connects to the throttle body when installed.
I’ve explained this to guys before, might be hard to visualize over the keyboard, but cycle the potentiometer with a small blade a few times to understand the movement, then what I did was spray some WD 40 into the casing, basically as I cycled the pot and it cleaned up.
Then re-installing it, get it as close to original position as you can. What I found was too far one way it wouldn’t idle, too far the other along the adjustment slot and it ran high.
I found the sweet spot with a little adjustment. Not too difficult of an evolution. Don’t freak out if it seems a struggle.... unless of course you’re on the side of the road out in the desert with nothing but a nail trimmer and a railroad tie ( if that’s the case, we want pictures).
If you’ve got an ohmeter and understand how to use it, connect the leads to the harness connector while it’s on your bench. Take readings while cycling the potentiometer before and after the cleaning... I saw a difference.
And it’s out in the lot here at work today... waiting for a nice cruise home over the best commute anyone could ever have.
Cheers!

i do not know how much u have researched
so i say this. u should spray linkage and springs and also spray wd40 in rubber boot on stepper motor and without motor running open throttle a few times and let it fly shut. should also check vacuum hoses and plugs on throttle bodys i have cleared mine a few times.
let us know it all turns out.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
ps i am not knocking the tps

i do not know how much u have researched
so i say this. u should spray linkage and springs and also spray wd40 in rubber boot on stepper motor and without motor running open throttle a few times and let it fly shut. should also check vacuum hoses and plugs on throttle bodys i have cleared mine a few times.
let us know it all turns out.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
ps i am not knocking the tps

Yea, that too - I did those things and got great improvement. But being an 05, it eventually was not enough, so for $137 I just got a new TPS & ended all the drama

Why your at it , take a look at that Zard !
They have a habit of collapsing in on themselves which could go toward explaining the choking?

when checking cars or trucks i will back off the exhaust and go for a little test drive that will tell u if the exhaust is the prob. i suppose that would work on the r3

Back