2 Rockets Compare Dobeck Performance AFR Plus to TuneECU - Long Post

Hi Kevin,

The AFR Plus works well with the pre-Roadster Rockets. Something changed with the Roadsters that caused a glitch in AFR Plus. Dobeck no longer offers it for the Rockets. The fueler Flip sells is the first gen product. Dobeck does have a fueler that works OK. It is the EJK Gen 3 or Gen 3.5. I have that product too. I was the test mule for dialing in the AFR Plus and the EJK for pre-Roadster Rockets. My Rocket now has the RamAir filter, and 2 of the 3 pipe TORs with 1 stock pipe, and a Dyno tune from Nels 2 Wheel Dyno Works.

Bill.
Thanks bill I just saw your reply, I run nels 20368 with d and d ram air and cat delete on 08 touring she’s running good well was before I tore it apart to replace stator, anywho going back together today and tomorrow so I believe I’m gonna go let the dyno man at tnt performance in Lebanon tn dual her in. I appreciate you getting back to me on the dobeck units I didn’t know. Thanks and have a great weekend hope you’re riding.

Hi Kevin, Did some nice riding yesterday with my buddies. Rain all day today.
I love your area, I use to drive for United van lines and came up thru there a lot on my way out to Seattle area. When up throughout Idaho several times trucking up to Edmonton, I hope to ride that area on 2 wheels one day

the first couple of times I had my bike dynod , the tuner had very little to say and just got on with the job in hand . when I returned recently , he remembered me and was far more responsive to my questions . knowing they supply and fit the PCV, I had it in my head to buy an AT and have them fit it . on asking him , he shook his head and replied he no longer stocks them and if he did , would advise I do not fit one ! now I'm no competent computer user , and certainly no tuner , so I found it hard to understand the information he started to furnish me with . considering the fella tunes the bikes of TT racers and a couple of BSB contenders , I tried to absorb the info with no doubt he knows his stuff . He mentioned that Triumph , KTM and others use the same make of ECU .He was working on a KTM LC 4 track racer fitted with pcv and AT when he started to find anomalies in the figures manifesting themselves as dips in the dyno hp and tq figures . so started an investigation , the results of which were that the AT was somehow corrupting the bikes ecu , The owner was more than happy with the peak power it felt like the bike was producing , but it was in fact running dangerously lean at wot and way too rich everywhere else . The figures were spot on but the bike wasn't making peak hp or tq according to the dyno readings . the fuelling and AF were dangerously off at wot altho showing optimum on the AT . if the owner had not visited the dyno . a catastropic failure was imminent . He also tuned a couple of Triumph TT bikes via tune ecu which he had been using since its conception . again , both bikes were doing exactly the same. the tables and percentages were spot on but again the dyno told a different story . again , the tune ecu program had somehow corrupted the ecu , for example , showing secondaries 9at 100 % when in fact they were actually at 50 . Or temp at 98 when in fact it was 103 . He concluded that the software in the AT and tune ecu had been somehow corrupted, in the case of tune ecu maybe maliciously during download ? he said that his tune ecu use is restricted to diagnostics and testing and that's it .many people have downloaded the tune ecu app he added , but unless you disconnect that computer ,/ phone from the interweb permanently after installing the app , the app can be more corrupted each time you switch on . every person he has had in for a Dyno run after they have improved their bike 2 fold by downloading tunes or adjusting the tables in the tune ecu , have turned out pretty disillusioned once they get the read out .. a new PCV, connected to nothing other than a fully calibrated dyno will give the truest readings and results possible . the bikes ecu can also be adjusted via the dyno but the parameters of adjustment is relatively small on all stock ecus and the parameters of adjustment via the 02 sensor , is even less . I think this was mainly the info he was trying to explain to me ? I may have completely misunderstood him and just written a load of old bollox , but if feasible , the tech heads here will understand and can either deny or confirm any of what I've written ?

Thanks for that info as I’m sure there are some guys on here that can really delve in on this one, this topic is as good as ( money no option) I’m gonna do the dyno tune he said he will use my tune ecu, I just wanna make sure everything is right I’ve done a lot of work on bike and a pro making sure gas and air is right will be peace of mind, for me the numbers don’t really matter, it runs like a scalded dog now I have to really hold on sometimes well some of the guys that know will see this and we will get so more knowledge

Hmm - I might without the Pixie Hunter Filter. and straight from "the Source". Does your chappie do TPS or MAP based work on the PCV?
if you have a PCV he can do it . the tune on mine is completely custom . it is really interesting listening to the initial dyno run , then he gets to work on the dynos keyboard and half an hour later you will hear it wind up again . engine off and he will be at his keyboard again . with mine , this happened at least 4 times until the bike is almost dialled , then final tweaks are made on the fly until the last run and printout . it is cool hearing it run sweeter and sweeter each time until the final run . I had no doubt in my mind whatsoever that my engine was running sweet and making all the hp and tq that the stock engine could produce ! at the end of the day , as Kevin says , the figures are not so important , they are what they are and an engine can only make what it can make until you play with the internals . but as is , you just know by the howl that the engine can make no more !

Hmm - I might without the Pixie Hunter Filter. and straight from "the Source". Does your chappie do TPS or MAP based work on the PCV?[/
if you have a PCV he can do it . the tune on mine is completely custom . it is really interesting listening to the initial dyno run , then he gets to work on the dynos keyboard and half an hour later you will hear it wind up again . engine off and he will be at his keyboard again . with mine , this happened at least 4 times until the bike is almost dialled , then final tweaks are made on the fly until the last run and printout . it is cool hearing it run sweeter and sweeter each time until the final run . I had no doubt in my mind whatsoever that my engine was running sweet and making all the hp and tq that the stock engine could produce ! at the end of the day , as Kevin says , the figures are not so important , they are what they are and an engine can only make what it can make until you play with the internals . but as is , you just know by the howl that the engine can make no more !
Dyno guy here I come, make it sang pretty will ya like nat67s do. From scalded dog to howlin beast I can’t wait oh yeah

Back