Stormrider

.040 Over
Has anyone had a problem with the transmission slipping into neutral from 1st gear? I'm brand new to this bike but it seems I will engage 1st gear... come to a stop or lay off the throttle and it slips back into neutral. Afterwards of putting it back into 1st gear, it seems to stay. I would like to know if anyone else has heard of this problem as it is making me a bit intimidated while I try to slip into traffic.

First, it will get better with age. Second, it will never be perfect, most of us have a little 'dance' at a red light, roll back and forth to find neutral. And I had a lot of trouble until I realized that the clutch wasn't adjusted quite right. Good Luck!

First, it will get better with age. Second, it will never be perfect, most of us have a little 'dance' at a red light, roll back and forth to find neutral. And I had a lot of trouble until I realized that the clutch wasn't adjusted quite right. Good Luck!

Have the same problem, but it never does it during hard acceleration out of first gear (thank God!)... Just happens during mild start outs such as heavy traffic stop and go... My dealer says it will get better and the tranny won't really reach consistant behavior until 2500mi....

Mike...

It doesn't slip out of first into neutral....it was never in first to start with.
On occassion, you will shift it down to first, the neutral light will be out, but it's still in neutral. You will start up and realize it....sometimes you have to hit it down into first...makes a big clunk....which is familiar to those who have had many years on h-d's..... but a question...why would you want to go down to neutral at a light or intersection anyway?

Tatonka said:
It doesn't slip out of first into neutral....it was never in first to start with.
On occassion, you will shift it down to first, the neutral light will be out, but it's still in neutral. You will start up and realize it....sometimes you have to hit it down into first...makes a big clunk....which is familiar to those who have had many years on h-d's..... but a question...why would you want to go down to neutral at a light or intersection anyway?

Thanks for your post Tatonka, I think it is a reasonable statement however I am a pretty big guy and strong enough to get it there if it is going. Perhaps rocking the transmission would make sense to try and make sure it is in. As to the question of putting it in neutral at a light. That doesn't make much sense, does it? You would want to be in gear and be able to move the bike at the first inclination of someone coming up behind you. I never take my bikes out of gear for all 30 years of riding. The problem I stated comes from hopping on the bike in the parked position of a parking lot, starting it up and putting it in gear, slowly taking off in said parking lot and coming to a stop at the exit of the parking lot while waiting for traffic to clear, and when it clears finding that I am back in neutral rather than 1st gear which is wear I last put it. Hope this clears things up. When I go to put it back into 1st, I do notice a positive thunk which is not there at first. So I guess I just have to play around with it more. Thanks for your post guys! :)

I used to slightly compress the front forks which would help the bike go into gear, or pull clutch in and release it a bit and let it slip into first. Disappears after first 1,000 miles, and just gets better.

Also, make sure you have the 2-3 mm of play in your front clutch lever, as per manual. 8)

My bikes similar to yours stormrider, but jumping out of second, for me i think i dont kick it up hard enough initially, the trannys fine.
Its like its half in gear, if i gun it a tad it pops out, i've had other bikes and cars that do the same, i'm a lazy gear changer, thats why i'm drivin autos :roll: .
Yours may be something else.

Back