Stillserving

LET'S GO BRANDON
Ride
86' Magna, 2017 R3R
Hey guys, my 17 Roadster has about 13K on it now. I've already changed the valve cover gasket once for leaking on the right side in the usual spot. I just got a sudden oil leak show up on the left side under the oil tank. Haven't pulled the tank yet to investigate yet anything I should pay attention to if the leak isn't obvious? I know some of the older bikes had issues with oil tank gaskets. Anybody have a similar issue with the newer bike and the oil tank?

Cleaned it all up with some Simple Green and hosed it down. Ran it for a while and didn't see anything. Will have to see where it's coming from after our quits raining and I can take it for a quick spin

I had the same thing with mine when new...it turned out it was electrical grease...got hot and went oily and ran down...cleaned it with white spirits and blew it dry with an air gun...did it a couple of times and fixed it...maybe its that?.The grease stays up there trapped behind something??

So after the 25 mile ride to work this morning, I saw the oil again. Couldn't see much in the parking lot so after I got home and let it cool off for a few hours, I took a closer look. It appears the crankcase breather filter (K&N setup) is SOAKED w/ oil and the oil spray on the engine is probably coming from the wind and pressure blowing that oil all over the back of the engine and then it runs down the rear of the case behind the oil tank.
Any ideas where to look for some sort of blockage or something that may be causing it to build some extra pressure or is that filter just finally soaked and just causing it to wick oil and spray?

probably about 5K. I'm used to K&N filters looking dirty LONG before they need to be cleaned and gave it a glance when I last changed the oil (about 3K ago) and it still looked nice and red. BUT I haven't contorted my hands and took it off. Guess it could have been just soaked with oil and that's not allowing it to breath I guess (DUH!). Instead of the case breathing/venting air, if the cotton is soaked and acting like a wick, then trying to breathe through a wet T-shirt is causing it to choke and spit oil.

Don't you love when you're thinking out load while typing on here and then realizing how maybe the answer it smacking you on the head!!

Back