#1 cylinder not firing

R3inCC

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
I'm suffering from a terrible miss on #1 cylinder, I decided to go ahead and change plugs and when I pulled out #1 plugs they were wet with gas so I'm pretty sure its not firing at all, assumed it was the ever so common poorly crimped leads on the coil, opened her up and checked them but they seemed to be tight and I pulled them off and they were well greased. I put it all back together and it started and ran great for about 30 seconds then went back to the same miss.... I'm sort of suspecting bad coil, bike is an '05 with 23000 miles, has anyone had a coil go out and how do I go about checking it, I know they can be checked with ohm meter but I've never figured out exactly how to do it...... HELP, I'm missing out on beautiful riding weather here in South Texas!!

if it is possible u could swap coils. to see if the miss moves to another cyl.
u might be able to remove one wire from the plug and monitor the spark.
coils sometimes work good when cold and lose there spark when hot.
u could also have a bad injector.

I agree with turbo.Swappin the coils is the best way to see if it is a coil prob. I would try giving the terminals a squeeze with pliers even if they feel tight,it seems to have worked for others before. Did you change the plugs when you had them out ?Also maybe check HT lead for tightness ?

Got to run a little better, not sure how , maybe with pulling the coil off then putting back on it may have done something, I really don't know but idle is extremely low and dies but when I rev it it screams like demon like before... Fiddled with the TPS and will stay running now at idle, doing 12 minute tune now

Well, I hate to say I'm not sure exactly what my issue was but... I'm not exactly sure what my issue was. The last thing I did was checked my TPS, pulled it off, reinstalled it, checked ISCV, ran reset adaption.... Fired right up and purrs like a kitten...

My guess bad connection on the low tension leads of the coil intermittent spark and low intensity. Of course the ecu was adapting to the poor situation. and once you pulled and installed it did the ISCV with the rest adaptions to clear the bad compensations for the cylinder she is performing good. On the plus side you have gained knowledge :)
And she runs good to boot!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a little video
My guess bad connection on the low tension leads of the coil intermittent spark and low intensity. Of course the ecu was adapting to the poor situation. and once you pulled and installed it did the ISCV with the rest adaptions to clear the bad compensations for the cylinder she is performing good. On the plus side you have gained knowledge :)
And she runs good to boot!!!!!!!!!!!
That is true warp... And it's guys like you that make it easier for all of us!

Back