britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
I left home yesterday morning on the Rocket to get a cup of over priced Starbucks coffee and enjoy the Sunday morning paper. I ended up bypassing the coffee shop entirely and had my first cup in Lurray Virginia after crossing over the mountain where there is an entrance to the Skyline Drive. I came home via back roads with great scenery and some decent twisting turns doing a total of around 225 miles. It was a great impromptu ride but I did notice it is deer season again. I must have seen at least ten carcasses along the road side and one unfortunate lady in a new Ford truck that had just struck one. It was a big doe and she had extensive damage. Between the rutting season and hundreds of hunters entering the woods shortly to do battle with the herds, be **** careful out there guys.

Excellent reminder!!!
I too have noticed the fall movement in progress.
I keep an ever watchful eye open to eyes in the darkness. :D

Its most likely that second one is the one that will get you.

They generally do cross the road in groups!

Remember, I speak from experience... I T-boned one of the furry, four-legged rats doing about 65 mph on my VTX 1800 four years ago and consider myself extremely fortunate to have survived the ordeal!

Well, physically, anyway!

Wanna' come up and do some leaf peeping before the show is over?

I experience quite the anomaly every week. We have a stretch of road that's approximately 18 miles. Beginning at dusk, sometimes earlier, and going into the wee hours of the morning, you can't count the deer grazing on the side of the road. They are literally thick as flies. However, they rarely raise their head when a car passes. In fact, most continue to eat as if the cars were just other animals grazing. They accept the traffic as part of their normal habitat. It's quite strange.

That said, one will occasionally cross the road. In the 6 years we've lived here, I've seen 1 or 2 standing in the median (divided 4 lane highway) and every once in awhile I'll hear of someone hitting one, but it's extremely rare considering the deer are there every night 365 days a year.

Florida Deer

I experience quite the anomaly every week. We have a stretch of road that's approximately 18 miles. Beginning at dusk, sometimes earlier, and going into the wee hours of the morning, you can't count the deer grazing on the side of the road. They are literally thick as flies. However, they rarely raise their head when a car passes. In fact, most continue to eat as if the cars were just other animals grazing. They accept the traffic as part of their normal habitat. It's quite strange.

That said, one will occasionally cross the road. In the 6 years we've lived here, I've seen 1 or 2 standing in the median (divided 4 lane highway) and every once in awhile I'll hear of someone hitting one, but it's extremely rare considering the deer are there every night 365 days a year.

Daryl,

They are Florida deer. The herd wanders for miles always signaling a left turn, they go to a dinner buffet at 3 in the afternoon, and all of them wear black socks/sandals with shorts pulled up to their nipples. A more laid back breed..........

Daryl,

They are Florida deer. The herd wanders for miles always signaling a left turn, they go to a dinner buffet at 3 in the afternoon, and all of them wear black socks/sandals with shorts pulled up to their nipples. A more laid back breed..........

I've never seen one dressed like that. I think you're confusing the deer population with the geeZEER population. Fortunately, most of that crowd migrates well south of the panhandle.

Btw, I will say the deer here are tiny compared to the deer in Kansas (where we lived prior to moving here). And, I rarely see a buck. Out of the 100s (literally) I see on a weekly basis, I might see a buck once or twice every couple of months.

Those Florida deer are clearly suffering from inbreeding , as they will not readily "go toward the light" as any proper deer would. Deer deaths caused by vehicles are more prevalent than than hunter induced deaths (about 40,000) here in the Garden State!

Back