Period Cruiser-Yes Another 750 Honda

britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
A little over a week ago I drove from Eastern Virginia to Columbia SC and back to bring another CB750 home. Since I ended up keeping a K74 I finished recently I recently finished I needed one to bring back and try and re-coup some money to the motorcycle account. (I am convinced of two things, no one near me ever sells a vintage motorcycle I can afford, and if I buy one it will have to be a blue Honda CB750. ) This is a 1975 K5 with 8,500 actual miles on the clock and judging from all of the added on 70's goodies, it was once owned by Austin Powers. It was left to a Grandson after the death of the original owner and of course has not been on the street in many years. Overall the bike is very restorable, clean title, great compression, and from the initial tear down in very good condition, of course the years of neglect have taken their toll but luckily it was stored indoors. It has spark, the inside of the gas tank looks new, and hopefully it will run. There are really some unique period pieces on the bike, Shoei bags, the period floor boards, the gas gauge tank top, the worlds biggest heal toe shifter, and a sissy bar that would make a great rose bush trellis. I am leaning toward keeping it period cruiser and let the new owner take in whatever direction he deems. I will post some shots as process progresses if there is interest, but it won't be as in depth as the K74, I am really going to sell this one, I am motorcycle poor......
DSC04645.JPG
DSC04646.JPG
DSC04654.JPG
DSC04651.JPG
DSC04664.JPG
DSC04662.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it runs and runs well. After setting valve lash, timing, points, new plugs and cleaning the carbs I ran a temporary fuel line and hit the starter. Fired over immediately, oil pressure light went out, no smoke, and the motor sounded real tight and idled well with just a bench synch on the carbs and no air box. I have decided to go back to stock trim on the bike, all of the period pieces have been taken off and will one day probably end up at a swap meet if I have the time and gumption. to set up now that Covid is dissipating somewhat. I will keep the rear rack, it is a Fulton brand and the chrome is like brand new, the sissy bar will go with the sale too, there is no accounting for personal taste and thank the Lord it is detachable. I will also keep the dual horns, they sound awesome along with the rare tank top gas gauge. The bike is much lighter and I have picked up a stock rear brake and shift levers along with foot pegs reasonably priced off of Ebay. The bike is just too nice to keep all of that excess baggage hanging on it. Sadly I must also confess to selling one of my flock, I had reached the point where I have to move motorcycles around in the garage to get to tools and the motorcycle mad money account was getting **** low. The fully restored 1965 Honda CL77 was elected. It was not being ridden, just covered and sitting. I posted an add on Cycle Trader with a selling price that was fair in todays market, but darn high for what these bikes were selling for just a few years back. The bike sold on the second day from the first inquiry. It will living in Arizona with an excited new owner after the shipping company arrives. I really felt bad letting the bike go, it was the machine to own when I was in High School back then, but dropping the check in the bank yesterday helped me live with the pain......

DSC04671.JPG
DSC04675.JPG
DSC04680.JPG
DSC04673.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG

Motor detailing time. Still need to hit the aluminum bits a little more with the Mothers, but somewhat of an improvement from the first day brought home.....
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG

Started on the front. I think 45 year old fork oil ranks right up there with the top ten things that smell bad on any given day. Going to install the rebuilt brake system, new tire, fork seals, and clean the hell out of everything. Shot the side covers today with rattle can from supplier who sold period Honda paint and very pleased, **** close match. The yard art is my carb boots and air box rubbers. I tied the method all over YouTube to soften hard rubber bits by soaking in a mixture of wintergreen oil and alcohol, and it works, but the pieces tend to swell. Been hanging for a week or so, to see if the sun may reduce the size. My Wife made me put them behind the garage, I was going to put them in the front yard just to make the neighbors wonder...

DSC04688.JPG
DSC04693.JPG
DSC04695.JPG
DSC04690.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG

Back