WTF is up with tire changes and rim damage?

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Two months since a shop damaged one of my Rocket rims...
Way to fix tire iron dents from shop?

and I take the rear wheel from my 1998 Thunderbird Sport to a different shop and get this...
IMG_3476.JPG

The rims were painted with black Plastic Dip some time ago and are flaking and need to be redone, or simply painted, but both are in pretty decent shape underneath after many tire changes since 1998. The red is a reflection, btw.

Looking at a new used replacement rim vs. taking it to a rim repair service (I have no idea yet what they would charge).

The bad thing is that the owner of this shop actually stopped to help me one day when the alternator went out on that same bike several years ago. He's a good guy, but apparently the art of tire changing is.... a lost art.

This is getting to be a bit ridiculous.

Feel for you big time. The local Honda shop in Tulsa is the only place i go to now for mounting a tire. Not one nick or scratch in the last three tire changes and one tire change involve a car tire. They even clean the wheel after installing the tire.

Two months since a shop damaged one of my Rocket rims...
Way to fix tire iron dents from shop?

and I take the rear wheel from my 1998 Thunderbird Sport to a different shop and get this...
IMG_3476.JPG

The rims were painted with black Plastic Dip some time ago and are flaking and need to be redone, or simply painted, but both are in pretty decent shape underneath after many tire changes since 1998. The red is a reflection, btw.

Looking at a new used replacement rim vs. taking it to a rim repair service (I have no idea yet what they would charge).

The bad thing is that the owner of this shop actually stopped to help me one day when the alternator went out on that same bike several years ago. He's a good guy, but apparently the art of tire changing is.... a lost art.

This is getting to be a bit ridiculous.

Yup...been there...they always seem to butcher removing the weights. I guess beads would avoid that?

I think they don't get the wheel properly locked in and the the clamps end up spinning around the rim.

Yeah, @sonny I'd been using a place a little further away, but never an issue, but thought I'd give some smaller shops that were closer a try- fuch me! Decided it's worth the extra time to take it where they actually know how to use their gear.

Back