Wrapping the exhaust

Well, I'm giving in and shielding my CES setup, it's just too **** hot getting stuck in Hawaii traffic without it any longer. I found these, for the top on Cylinder 2 and 3
jitsie-sherco-carbon-fibre-exhaust-protector-637.jpg

to be installed using:
91UwAL-h66L._SX355_.jpg

then for the portion down by the footpeg, Ill just do what I did before and use two of these:
flexible_heat_shield_on_chrome_pipe.jpg

You asked - I would NEVER put tape on my CES headers.
Sure would like to see some measurement data of how much it actually reduces temps.
That is the ugliest finish you can apply to a nice looking expensive exhaust system and Ive never seen a bike that looked good with wrapped pipes a custom set of heat shields such as the ones on Warps bike look great and work the best .

I only have stock exhaust headers on my RT3 with the stock shields. It was easy to wrap the headers and cover it with the stock shields. It amazes me how hot these bikes are when the ambient air is over eighty degrees. They're ok when they're moving but terrible when sitting in traffic with the fan on. The wrap helps but doesn't completely eliminate the heat.

Excessive heat can be reduced or eliminated altogether by controlling the air fuel ratio. I added a Dobeck Performance AFR Plus to my Rocket for the benefit of better performance. The unintended side effect was a total lose of the heat on the right leg.

Only partially true. Even a super fat motor running rich in all conditions still makes heat, and with exposed, un-shielded, headers that run an inch or two from your legs (CES/Carp/Jardine/Reband/etc), in hot weather sitting in stop and go traffic it will get hot. Tuning properly helps, but it's still hot enough to melt textile riding pants with a very brief touch against the exhaust or scorch a pair of jeans with just a few seconds of touching the header.

I used a stock collector cover from Triumph for the CES headers.
First i tried tape under it, but it actually didn't look good, and the shield alone does a far better job than the combination of tape+shield. Seems the heat was stuck inside the wrap when using both.

20151105_232414.jpg
and nice V4 crashbars!!

My pipes were changed to D&D which got rid of the stock mufflers which also helped to lessen the heat at the same time my headers were wrapped. The tune was also changed and now it is richer but unless its not running the headers will make heat. If you are missing your right leg or have a wooden one the headers will not ever be a problem, otherwise they will if its a hot day and you are stopped in traffic. My V8 bikes do not even get close to putting out the heat the Triumph does on my legs but thats because the headers do not get very close to them. Like I've said before if the bike is moving the heat is gone, sitting at a light is another story.

Last edited:
Well, I'm giving in and shielding my CES setup, it's just too **** hot getting stuck in Hawaii traffic without it any longer. I found these, for the top on Cylinder 2 and 3
jitsie-sherco-carbon-fibre-exhaust-protector-637.jpg

to be installed using:
91UwAL-h66L._SX355_.jpg

then for the portion down by the footpeg, Ill just do what I did before and use two of these:
flexible_heat_shield_on_chrome_pipe.jpg

I be LIKING this! Please tell me more (link?) and send pix of them mounted. :thumbsup:

like thingkings solution.wondering if a part # available,had the same idea using the heat shield from a 05 three pipe. right side lower chrome cover flipped upsidedown seem to fit,but not as tight as thingkings picture shows.also was the heatshield and chrome used or wasthe heat shield removed and just the chrome used??

Back