Wrapping the exhaust

That there is a VERY innovative use of the OEM shield!
Impressed with your German ingenuity! :thumbsup:

My Jardine exhaust was unbearably hot. I had the header heat wrapped and the heat shields put back on. It helps significantly. I doubt anything having to do with moisture is an issue. Every molecule of H2O will be long gone by the time the exhaust cools.

I have the Touring model. The right side was to hot for me so I wrapped the headers and put the shields back on over the wrap. Cuts the heat way down on the touring model.

I wrapped my headers, and put the shields back on. Huge difference in the heat. Plus I didn't like the looke of the tape, so putting the hear shield back on really cleaned up the look. Oh, but my exhaust is blacked out. That made the black header tape all but disappear.

Over time the tape will trap moisture and hasten the deterioration of steel pipes.

I have heard that the tape and moisture will destroy the pipes for years but have yet to see it happen. I guess if you wash the bike and directly spray the header wrap just before each time you ride the bike there might be enough moisture to do some damage to the headers in a couple of years.

Dave, the damage generally occurs slowly over time and is not apparent until it is generally too late to do much more than replace part(s) or all of the system.

Dave, the damage generally occurs slowly over time and is not apparent until it is generally too late to do much more than replace part(s) or all of the system.

The problem I had Phil is that it was already to hot in Vegas and add that to the heat put out by the headers on the Rocket when in traffic and I had no choice but to wrap the headers. It amazes me that the Rocket puts out way more heat than my V8 bikes when in traffic. I don't think there is any moisture to trap in the header wrap in Las Vegs, it may be much different in other parts of the country. Now that its cold here I wish the pipes were not wrapped. The best thing is the more I ride it the more I like it.

Not to belabor this but it is true that if the tape absorbs moisture from the air, then it would enhance oxidation on the pipe. I don't know if the tape is hygroscopic but even if it is, whatever water is absorbed will quickly desorb when the pipes are hot. In Nevada, it is so freakin' dry that I doubt the tape would be a problem.

Good news is there are lots of factory headers out there. Plus my exhaust has been ceramic powder coated, which should help with that. By the time mine thinks about having an issue I will of already upgraded to a larger better header system!

Back