Wrapping the exhaust

Richard phillips

Standard Bore
I have the CES exhaust on my R3 and was wondering if anyone has wrapped their exhaust to cut down on the heat that comes off. I've never done this myself nor do I know if I will like the look of it. Any opinions?

Not the best idea as explained to me by the most knowledgeable guy I know about all things motorcycle (IFT) The wrap traps moisture and will hasten the system's oxidation, decay.

Last edited:
You asked - I would NEVER put tape on my CES headers.
Sure would like to see some measurement data of how much it actually reduces temps.

It does help with reducing the heat .. I found only minor oxidation on ceramic coated headers. Heat shield stepped away from the headers is a lot better. Harley V-Rod heat shields have a lot of similar bends to CES headers.

I agree with TC that heat shields are the better way to go. On some systems you can double them up, sandwiching one atop another. Not sure if that's doable with the CES system... you'd have to take some measurements, shop the marketplace and see what's available that might work.

If done well the wrap makes a staggering difference to heat radiation. I have no figures, but know from sitting next to exhausts on the dyno often that it is a large difference. Doing a turbo V Rod last week with a ceramic dump pipe I could not have my right leg over the seat in the normal position ( as if riding the bike), yet the previous one I did , same model bike and same turbo kit etc was absolutely no issue with a wrapped pipe. Good warp, not the $30 sam yang stuff from china is a plus.

I used a stock collector cover from Triumph for the CES headers.
First i tried tape under it, but it actually didn't look good, and the shield alone does a far better job than the combination of tape+shield. Seems the heat was stuck inside the wrap when using both.

20151105_232414.jpg

Back