Does it always make the noise ? If it's always there, I would worry about something in the valve train (shim came out, cam ladder came loose etc.) Does it change at different throttle openings ? Spark knock usually happens under heavy load when accelerating, but even opening the throttle quickly in neutral can make it happen. Does it idle OK ? Usually a vacuum leak will cause erratic idle. I would try a different tune. Maybe someone has the ignition timing really jacked on the tune your currently using ? Knock is usually caused by, low octane fuel, lean fuel mixture, excessive timing advance, or malfunctioning cooling system (running hot). You could pull the plugs and post pics.

I hesitate to start a new thread on this. I've searched the archives and have found a few bits of information, but I really could use some feedback.

Background: I completed a valve adjustment- just one intake out of spec (too loose) that came in perfectly right in the middle after a shim replacement. Before pulling the cams I went ahead and ditched the stock air snorkel and installed K&Ns. I also plugged the vacuum lines on the throttle bodies, removed the secondaries, and changed the plugs.

I was concerned about whether or not I'd be bothered by the "chirping" I'd read so much about with the K&Ns. It turns out that is nothing compared to what must be intake valve clatter I am hearing- it sounds like I have a woodpecker behind the bear claw. At first I was concerned that I must have done something wrong reinstalling the cam, but I did search the archives and found a few other people mention it. But, it is the "chirping" that seems to be the sound that most people are focused on. Really? I'm wondering if you guys are just ignoring this valve noise as normal, to be expected, or if I've somehow manged to mess something up.

If I had just removed the stock air system and installed the K&Ns and heard this new sound I would not be concerned, but having gone inside, I'm now a bit paranoid the K&Ns aren't the explanation for this new sound.

I've taken the bike on an over nighter and ridden around enough to have gone through a couple of tanks of gas. I've gone from, "what the @*(&% is that noise," to convincing myself that it's OK (based on those few mentions from other posters), to now back again wondering if this is really normal.

I have to say that after making all of the changes the bike has never run better (not even close) and pulls like a frigg'n freight train- that has reinforced the voice in my head saying that it must be OK and to just open her up, ignore the "pecking," and enjoy.

So, what say ye, merry men? It sounds like a Pileated Woodpecker going to town under the claw. Is that what you guys hear, or am I just trashing my motor?

2011 Roadster

Many thanks- Blake

Can you post a video of the bike running? We might can tell you if it is the normal noise you're are hearing or that is definitely something louder than normal.

I know when I went to the three K&Ns I didn't like the noise. It was louder than my exhaust!
After time and running different tunes since I went with Viking exhaust it seems to have tamed down. I think the tune might have played a role on quieting down the noise. I do know that the secondaires are open 100%

We gotta know "What sort of knock" it is right? Like the scientist has said, is it there from start up or what?
If its the noise we hear with the k&n pods installed then its ok but i think we need to get to the bottom of it....post a vid if you are able cos its gonna help.....

[COLOR=#ff4d4d said:
"Rocket Scientist[/COLOR], post: 533664, member: 2026"]
Does it always make the noise ?
Not that I can detect.

If it's always there, I would worry about something in the valve train (shim came out, cam ladder came loose etc.)
Does it change at different throttle openings ?

Not noticeable at idle. I hear it mostly at lower RPMs, especially when throttling on. At higher RPMs either not there or the engine, air, and exhaust drown it out.

Spark knock usually happens under heavy load when accelerating, but even opening the throttle quickly in neutral can make it happen. Does it idle OK ? Usually a vacuum leak will cause erratic idle.
Doesn't sound like spark knock then, I guess. It idles OK and starts easily and runs really strong.

I would try a different tune. Maybe someone has the ignition timing really jacked on the tune your currently using ?
I will check that out.

Knock is usually caused by, low octane fuel, lean fuel mixture, excessive timing advance, or malfunctioning cooling system (running hot).
I just tried premium and no difference I could detect. Shouldn't be any of the others you mentioned. The timing took several tries but was spot on, finally, after changing the shim.

You could pull the plugs and post pics.

I'll be back from my trip in two weeks and will definitely pull the plugs for a look.

Okay, so I made a sound recording from a mic on my left arm. Listening back it doesn't sound nearly as prominent as what I hear, so now wondering if that particular noise/sound level is reverberating in my helmet somehow. Most of the other sound file I can hear the chirping over the "woodpecker."

I can't thank you guys enough. Will try your advice and report back when I return in two weeks. Many thanks....

Sounds a bit like mine when i twist her open but mine is more pronounced...like..."WRRRRRAAAAAHHPPPP"(change gear)"WRRRRRAAAAAHHPPP"...very similar...mines air intake.
Now im gonna try videoing mine...not sure if it will work tho...

Sounds a bit like mine when i twist her open but mine is more pronounced...like..."WRRRRRAAAAAHHPPPP"(change gear)"WRRRRRAAAAAHHPPP"...very similar...mines air intake.
Now im gonna try videoing mine...not sure if it will work tho...
6276.jpeg

EH?

Discovered in May that just about all my old (in all senses of the word) colleagues have Tinnitus - and it is being accident lawyer pursued as our employer offered NO protection from these. Most were not bike folk either.

1926685918_9bcc17528a_z.jpg

8-12 hours straight surrounded by 6 of them. A Harley on open pipes - Like a gnat farting into a Hurricane.
And not one of them had the common sense to wear ear protection:banghead: when I worked in the coal mines I used my own ear protection as I knew that loud noises can damage your ears, and now for not having common sense they want to sue someone, :(way of the World I suppose.

Back