I curious, you "plugged the vacuum lines on the throttle bodies" ? Also did you set the secondaries to 100% open in all tables with tuneecu / tuneboy ? I don't know what happens if you just take them out, with out setting them to full open in the ECU.

I did plug the vacuum lines. I used one of the 20355 maps, as is, and adjusted the throttle bodies. I didn't manually go into TuneEcu and change anything, thinking the custom maps already did that, but I'm new to the program- let me know if I should have. I guess it's possible the line to the manifold air pressure sensor could have been disturbed and come undone when I pushed the tank down, but it's probably unlikely. Thanks.

Normal noise brutha!!.....not sure if id'e relate it to a woodpecker tho.....a pecker hitting the tank maybe???....no, its the air intake rattle which is all good!....

Yeah, if I was still 17, always locked and loaded, then THAT noise would drown out the pecker noise I'm currently hearing now from under the claw. ;)

Speaking of hearing loss that some of you guys mentioned, it could be that the chirping is louder than I think, but not in my limited hearing range. Otherwise, I don't understand what the big deal is. That woodpecker, on the other hand, is pretty dang loud, not like hearing one off in the distance- he's right there under my tank.

"no, its the air intake rattle which is all good!...." Well, alright then. I'm going to carry on. Thanks!

Except me I have ALWAYS worn ear protection since day one:D
EH?

Discovered in May that just about all my old (in all senses of the word) colleagues have Tinnitus - and it is being accident lawyer pursued as our employer offered NO protection from these. Most were not bike folk either.

1926685918_9bcc17528a_z.jpg

8-12 hours straight surrounded by 6 of them. A Harley on open pipes - Like a gnat farting into a Hurricane.

I did plug the vacuum lines. I used one of the 20355 maps, as is, and adjusted the throttle bodies. I didn't manually go into TuneEcu and change anything, thinking the custom maps already did that, but I'm new to the program- let me know if I should have. I guess it's possible the line to the manifold air pressure sensor could have been disturbed and come undone when I pushed the tank down, but it's probably unlikely. Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out which vacuum lines you plugged ? I don't remember having to plug any lines on mine when I installed the K&N's ? Could you take a picture of the "plugged lines" ?

I'm concerned that what you might be hearing is spark knock. If you drove cars in the 70's you probably already know what it sounds like. They started leaning the fuel down on them trying to improve gas mileage and meet emission standards. They also banned lead in fuel around that time, which made the fuel more prone to cause "knock". Here is a sound clip.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out which vacuum lines you plugged ? I don't remember having to plug any lines on mine when I installed the K&N's ? Could you take a picture of the "plugged lines" ?

I'm concerned that what you might be hearing is spark knock. If you drove cars in the 70's you probably already know what it sounds like. They started leaning the fuel down on them trying to improve gas mileage and meet emission standards. They also banned lead in fuel around that time, which made the fuel more prone to cause "knock". Here is a sound clip.
----

Rocket Scientist,

You may be on to something. It just seems louder than it should be. That clip sounds a little like it, hard to tell. I should have included that I removed the charcoal canister so that's why I plugged the vacuum lines. From memory, on left side of bike facing throttle bodies, I plugged the lines on the right side of each TB, including a second one on #3 (there are three on that intake). All the left ones go to a "domacaflotchey," which is I think the manifold air pressure sensor.

What would cause spark knock? I'm running mid-grade. Installed new plugs- wrong gap? It is time for a new fuel filter, according to the previous owner's records.
Unless the manifold air pressure sensor lines came undone I think the vacuums are OK.

I'm going out of town for two weeks, but will try to get my own sound clip for you and others to hear today. In the meantime I found this and it sounds pretty similar...

Thanks very much for weighing in.

Back