Windshield options

pastorfreak

Supercharged
Is there anyone else who uses the Clearview windshield? I have heard some who use it but not really any particulars on the sizes or options used. I am 6 foot tall and about 300 lbs. I was wondering what size to get the 23 or 25 inch tall one? Has anyone had the adjustable vent in it, does it owrk nice or is it owrth the extra money? Since my bike is the graphite color I think I will go with the grey tint as well.I like the price alot better than 500.00. I looked at the triumph website but it doesnt give the dimentions of their shields anyone know?

Freak

Last edited:
A sermon for the Pastor.....

Is there anyone else who uses the Clearview windshield? I have heard some who use it but not really any particulars on the sizes or options used. I am 6 foot tall and about 300 lbs. I was wondering what size to get the 23 or 25 inch tall one? Has anyone had the adjustable vent in it, does it owrk nice or is it owrth the extra money? Since my bike is the graphite color I think I will go with the grey tint as well.I like the price alot better than 500.00. I looked at the triumph website but it doesnt give the dimentions of their shields anyone know?

Freak

PF:

Clearview only makes replacement windshields in custom sizes, you still have to purchase the hardware (ie: Triumph windshield brackets and fixings). Clearview makes no hardware and I suspect they do that so they don't get sued for trade dress infringement by National Cycle who makes all of Triumph's OEM windshields. NC isn't the easiest company to deal with on replacement screens for their Triumph bracketry. I know that firsthand.

Of course the price is better. You are only buying a screen, not the hardware.

Look at a Windvest. Bart has one on his Rocket. Bart went over the handlebars a month or so ago in a fit of adolescent stupidity and Windvest replaced the screen at half price.

Basically, if you want a Clearview shield you have to buy the OEM screen and replace it with a Clearview. PianoMan has a Clearview with a vent.

It's my opinion that no motorcycle "bling" is cheap unless you make it (like me) in your shop. Bike bling is a luxury not a necessity. You 'ought to know that. You have a potato, potato bike.:D

Sometimes the path to what you desire is muddied with corporate trickery and outright greed.

The Clearview shield with the windvent looks terrible to me, it is too huge. Extreme wind drag. The smaller size would be OK, but ride the Triumph stock shield for a year first and get your money's worth out of it. Then you will also know what you want and what you like. You cannot really know until you put a few thousand miles on the bike.

Did you buy a demo?

No it is a buy back from someone they didnt like something on it so Triumph bought it back from them and are selling it to me as a new bike that is what is taking so long for the bike to arrive they are waiting for a new Certificate of Origin, as it has been sold once as a new bike so I need one now as well and I am getting a full two year warranty as well.

Freak

No it is a buy back from someone they didnt like something on it so Triumph bought it back from them and are selling it to me as a new bike that is what is taking so long for the bike to arrive they are waiting for a new Certificate of Origin, as it has been sold once as a new bike so I need one now as well and I am getting a full two year warranty as well.

Freak

PF:

What on earth does that have to do with the windshield? Or, if I read between the lines and presume it already has a Triumph summer screen on it, why don't you just go with it? I'm 6 foot 2 and have no problem with the stock screen though I have added the Triumph lowers and they stop the turbulence. Of course I don't weigh 300 pounds so you may need a little wider windshield as my frontal area isn't that expanded, yet.:D

I have to say that Triumph would never buy a bike back unless it was a lemon and was bought back to go back to the factory or to Georgia for dissection. A bike bought back would never be resold, actually, I believe for a motor vehicle that's against the law. Triumph can't even admit they have a problem with the laced wheels on the T100's let alone buying back a bike. Bloor is way too cheap for that or at least it appears that way.

I believe the scenario is more like LifeCycle sold the bike to someone and that someone for whatever reason allowed LifeCycle or the bank to take repossession of the bike and subsequently be sold. As it's a current model year or nearly new, a full warranty (at Triumph's discretion) can be issued. Your purchase price goes against any outstanding lien or if it's a bank repossession, to the bank which in turn obtains a judgment against the original owner. If, indeed, you are paying LifeCycle MORE than the outstanding lien or balance owed, it's 100% profit to LifeCycle but that is about the "Art of the deal":)

I know a lot about repossessions, I used to repo vehicles and bikes and the show on TV is about as real as it gets minus the firearms and the Federal Marshall's. I've yanked them through garage doors, drug them down the street, pulled them sideways. However you get them is okay. The owner-in-default is still 100% responsible for the difference between the sale price and the amount owed. I once repo'd a Corvette that actually started right up. I put it in gear and took off. The owner had it chained to a post in the garage floor and I ripped the rear end out......had to go back and get the roll-off and winch it on. Was a nice 'Vette. 68 427/435 blue convert. People buy cars and forget the payment books. Don't work that way.:D

In my cryptic, round about way, I would imagine that the bike already has the hardware in place and if indeed it does, the Clearview shield is a cheaper alternative to the NC one. Remember however, the Clearview won't have the really neat "Triumph" logo on it. That would be trade dress infringement as NC is the authorized manufacturer of all Triumph windshields.

Banjo Bart asked if I bought a demo I was explaining to him it was a buy back. It does not have a stock windshield on it and a Triumph one costs about 500.00. They told me it is a buy back for a reason that something on the bike wasnt to the customers liking and it has to get a new Certificate of Origin for them to sell it to me with the warranty. I dont know above that I trust what they tell me until they show me different. But I guess I win either way for a 2005 Rocket with less than 500 miles for $10,000.00 plus tax .

Per NADA current price
Low Retail $9,595.00
Average Retail $12,625
Add $95 to $115 for windscreen

That makes it a good price, but it is also a grim reality. Its a tough bite to take the depreation. None of us would sell for that but total one out and thats what the insurance company looks at. I just took a $10,000 Hit on a K1200LT.

Gunshots:

That holds true when you insure for ACV. My R3 is ACV, but my T100 and sidecar is replacement value. It costs a little more but it will pay the actual new price of the bike and acessories. Problem with replacement value is you have to provide pictures of the bike along with receipts of what all the acessories cost. My T100 and sidecar is insured for a replacement value of a little better than 16K and in the event of a total loss, that's what the payout would be. The R3's ACV depreciates with the NADA book whereas the T100/Spyder don't depreciate at all. I even have the option of appreciating the value each year.

Back