Why I bought a Rocket III

All my past bikes have been Honda's and all having 4 cylinders. 81 CB 750 custom, 84 V65 Magna 1100 and a 1994 Magna 750. All good bikes and pretty fast but was tired of Honda and was looking at something different. Harley was out cause everybody and his daddy own one, and afraid I wouldn't be able to find my bike in a crowd of Harleys. Started to investagate Triumph and did some online research and really fell in love with the shape and looks of the bike. So one day went to the local Triumph dealership and took a test ride on one and fell in love with it. Loved the ride and all the power that it had. But that dealership knew less about the bike than I had learned about it online, plus they wouldn't deal with me on price. So contacted a dealership about 400 miles away and bought a 2006 SE sight unseen. That has been almost 5 years ago and over 33,000 miles later and still loving every mile.

to each his/her own

Fell in love with the Rocket the moment they came out! Hell, I was in love with it BEFORE it was released! Love my custom VTX...but I always knew the R3 was more "me": brutal, bestial, thick and powerful...yep, me all over! I even like the diesal-like sound and "John Deere" look of the big, square motor! Ugly as all hell and that's why it's so friggin' cool!!!:D The only other bike I dig as much is the mighty V-Max...and for largely the same reasons:cool:

why

when i was 17:p i bought a mx yamaha yz465, scared me ****less:(,my mates had suzuki rm 400's. when i was 20 i bought a bsa lightning, my mates all had tridents/bonnies..we were indestructable back then, absolutely fearless,no one ever over took me:mad:!!fast forward 30yrs/ wife/kids/new wife same kids/new country same kids + 2 of someones elses and his ex missus;).new house,new job/ finally have $$$ to spend on me.bike time. my new mates are hardcore HD.i'm yeah/nah.....then i see the new rocket. pre order only [back then]..no test rides/ too new ,no demos avail. hmmm.....i put down the deposit.bike duly arrives.im in love. power/pressence/size i knew it was for me. i put 25km on it and traded up to a new one. rocket #2 is my keeper ride now.stock looking but has.:cool:..carpenter stage 2 kit installed + all the other good ****:eek:. my mates respect my ride,and so do i. enuff said:):):)

social animal!

I rode a small bike back in college. Anemic.

Five years ago I got the itch for a bike. I was married at the time and had given up control of my own PAIR. I 'settled' for a Benz SLK roadster. It was Sunburst yellow. Had to stand out. I loved the social aspects of it. Talking about it when I pulled in to just about anywhere.

Wife was booted three years ago. Fully in control of my own PAIR...

A bike was my to be my celebration of the end of extortion payments. I'm an engineer, so I love the analytics, the hunt of purchasing something new. So I spent the better part of a year planning and searching and learning what I wanted.

In short I wanted something that would absolutely stand out (It does). I didn't want stereotypical loud, rough running, HD (It isn't). I wanted to never drive anything anemic ever again (It most certainly isn't). And I wanted something that was more 'cruiser'. But not a boat.

When I first saw the Rocket it absolutely blew me away. It is an engineering wonder. It's ridiculously over the top. When I took it for a test ride I scared myself... And smiled for surviving it. I had that surge of adrenaline pumping through me.

My plans were accelerated when a used one came into the dealership for $7k. :)

It's everything I hoped for. I have a friend on a VTX1800 and a niece on a 1200 sportster. 'Aww, they are so cute'.

I bought my R3 because...

It was there. I went in to look at the smaller Triumphs because I had a Bonnville long ago. I'd heard about the R3 but hadn't seen one, then there it was. The dealer asked me if I wanted to ride it. Big mistake. I couldn't get it off my mine then finally purchased it. My tourer has all the chrome stuff I've paid thousands extra for on other bikes. It's a big, bad bike. Friends ask why I want to be different. I ask why they want to be the same, a slow same. There's not one I know of for counties around. Dern thing is heavy, top heavy compared to others I've had but then again it takes a man to handle this thing. It's here to stay. Aftermarket exhausts are next.

Like many current Rocket III owners, I bought my 2009 R3T because it was different than almost any bike on the market, and I wanted to stand out from the HD crowd. I owned a Kawasaki Nomad 1500 at the time, and I really liked that bike. It went everywhere I wanted it to go and was a great bike for long-distance touring.

Having said that, I really like the big Harley baggers, and actually looked at Electra Glides when I was bike shopping. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but I would stop at a large motorcycle enthusiast hang out (Tom’s Farms, say) and there would be hundreds of identical bikes—
same chrome, same accessories. Man, I didn’t want that.

Talking with good friends in late 2008, I mentioned my desire to ride something different, to "stand out from the crowd" as it were. I laid out my needs:

• A bike capable of long distance touring;
  • A “real” bike with not a lot of plastic (a la the Goldwing—not that there’s anything wrong with that);
  • A bike that stands out, and is different from many others in the crowd.
That was it. My buddies came back with some interesting ideas: A Boss Hoss, the Honda Rune… then the Triumph Rocket III was mentioned. A little research showed that this was just the bike I wanted. Instead of a used Classic, I ended up buying a new Touring. I’ve been pretty happy with it so far. It lacks some things that I wish it had (ABS, cruise, fairing) but it’s probably my favorite bike in the ever-growing stable. If I do end up buying another bike (I just bought a BMW GS), I’ll likely end up keeping the R3T as well.

Attachments

• green machine.jpg
    green machine.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Honda Rune.jpg
    Honda Rune.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 380
  • Dodge Tomahawk.jpg
    Dodge Tomahawk.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 159
More speed please!

I've owned my Rocket for all of 3 days now and there are two main reasons why I had to add it to my irreplaceable Honda Rune. Firstly, awesome though the Rune is, it can't keep up with my buddies on their Ducati's and Suzuki's so now on our tours over Europe I'll be right beside them. Second, I bought from my buddy who just got the Ducati so I know it's history and he sold it to me at trade price! Nice deal but he was a stranger to chrome polish so I've got my work cut out. Triumph chrome may be better than Hardley but it's crap next to Honda!

Back