Why are people selling their Rockets?

The Thunderbird 1700 was a great bike. So many great bikes no longer being made. I wish I could own many different bikes but I can only ride 1 at a time. The Rocket makes me smile.
I loved my Thunderbird... but during a time when I could only take on one bike... she was traded for my R3T without hesitation after a test ride. Though, had I been able to keep both; I would have.
-MIG

Came close to buying the blacked out version of the Thunderbird. Saw a advertisement for the Rocket X and the rest is history. The last year or two have studied up on just about every make and model of new bikes. Came close a few times on buying only to back out at the last minute. The price does not justify the means. I do not require all the new and improved devices found on just about every new bike sold. All brands and makes nowadays come out with ridiculous horsepower and torque claims only to find out that what you think your buying and what is real at the back wheel is a different story. For a lot less money and greater satisfaction I plan on rebuilding the X from the ground up. No modifications to the performance. I figure 167 horse is enough for me. Will be doing a lot of cosmetic work to the bike. Pipes recoated and some powder coat needs to be redone. Sitting at 68,000 miles but figured when am done bike should see well over 100,000 miles. Next will be the 2010 Fatboy. Going to turn that one into a Sunday ride bike. Built engine nice paint job and Ape hangers. Kind of a old school Harley Lots of chrome. The Rocket will continue to be my everyday bike. Other then the transmission going out have not had any major problems with the bike. Kind of attached to it. Worth rebuilding? No and Yes. No because the bike has no value on the market. Yes because by far it has been the best bike i have ever owned. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

No plans to sell in the near future. I love my Rocket 3 R. Came from a very tricked up and insane Diavel which was a fair bit quicker but the engine, build quality etc just sold me on the R 3. (I know I had issues as posted here with the clutch and I hope they never return or I will sell it but I'll cross that bridge if it ever comes).

There is no Harley or other bike to compare it to. It is in a league of it's own. I took a HD out yesterday and by 140 it was shaking, rattling and felt like it was going to fall apart. 0-100 it was a lovely bike but as a highway cruiser, no comparison to the Rocket which at that speed is barely out of second gear and as planted as can be. Even at 240 or so, it is confident on the road. Sure, some may say the Diavel is a competitor, but been there, done that.

I love most bikes so what I do swap out if my other 2 bikes. I bought an Indian FTR 1200S RR a few months back and it's become boring. I miss the supernakeds and will probably look at the Ducati Streetfighter or Kawasaki H2 R though haven't discounted going back to the Z1000 which I really loved. An S1000RR is on the cards again as I miss my old 2013 - probably the best bike I ever owned.

But the Rocket 3 has a place in my heart. Have wanted one for years and now I have one, even if I got the aforementioned dream bikes one day, I still think my main go-to bike will be the Rocket. But who knows? I said I would never sell my Diavel either, nor the S1000RR. I just love bikes. The missus is the only problem.

Came close to buying the blacked out version of the Thunderbird. Saw a advertisement for the Rocket X and the rest is history. The last year or two have studied up on just about every make and model of new bikes. Came close a few times on buying only to back out at the last minute. The price does not justify the means. I do not require all the new and improved devices found on just about every new bike sold. All brands and makes nowadays come out with ridiculous horsepower and torque claims only to find out that what you think your buying and what is real at the back wheel is a different story. For a lot less money and greater satisfaction I plan on rebuilding the X from the ground up. No modifications to the performance. I figure 167 horse is enough for me. Will be doing a lot of cosmetic work to the bike. Pipes recoated and some powder coat needs to be redone. Sitting at 68,000 miles but figured when am done bike should see well over 100,000 miles. Next will be the 2010 Fatboy. Going to turn that one into a Sunday ride bike. Built engine nice paint job and Ape hangers. Kind of a old school Harley Lots of chrome. The Rocket will continue to be my everyday bike. Other then the transmission going out have not had any major problems with the bike. Kind of attached to it. Worth rebuilding? No and Yes. No because the bike has no value on the market. Yes because by far it has been the best bike i have ever owned. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Your Rocket X, blow the transmission??? That is scaring and expensive.
Did you find any reason for that?
Bad use? or defect?
I heard about transmission problems on the earlier models, not on the "ultimate" ones.

Strange I had the complete opposite happen this past weekend, I was parked at the local HD shop with my 2011 carpenter Roadster and a new 2020 GT parked next to me, now the guy riding it was a complete wanker in fact he was even asking people looking over our bikes which one was the best, WTF, one guy said the one with the curly pipes looks like a manly bike and the other one looks like a frustrated yuppies bike, I asked him if he was on any of the Triumph web sites -he said he was not and what are they called I just told him to search for them.

Strange I had the complete opposite happen this past weekend, I was parked at the local HD shop with my 2011 carpenter Roadster and a new 2020 GT parked next to me, now the guy riding it was a complete wanker in fact he was even asking people looking over our bikes which one was the best, WTF, one guy said the one with the curly pipes looks like a manly bike and the other one looks like a frustrated yuppies bike, I asked him if he was on any of the Triumph web sites -he said he was not and what are they called I just told him to search for them.
He didn't buy the Rocket to ride, he bought it to show. To the local bar and back will be the extent of his riding. A weekend warrior at best.

Wow that behavior is in poor taste.

Your Rocket X, blow the transmission??? That is scaring and expensive.
Did you find any reason for that?
Bad use? or defect?
I heard about transmission problems on the earlier models, not on the "ultimate" ones.
Yes 68,000 miles and the transmission went south. Have not torn into yet in process of preparing a garage shed. I thought i was free of the transmission problem but that is what i get for thinking.

Back