Why are people selling their Rockets?

The new bikes do not reveal themselves until people buy them. When you first sit on them they do not have that intimidation factor.
Very true. The news R3 tries hard to behave like a normal bike in most situations. This may fool riders into thinking that it is a normal bike. Which it isn't.

It is a bit of a Jekyll and Hide thing, I suppose. Whereas the Rocket's true charakter would be Mr. Hide, not Dr. Jekyll. What I hear you saying is that owners might discover this fact after some time and then decide it was really Dr. Jekyll they liked.

Just my opinion, but the first time I sat on the new models I was in awe and at the same time fear.
Awe because I could not believe how balanced it was and how lite it felt.
Fear because I knew people would by the bike not knowing the raw power they would have at their fingertips.
I think it is dangerous. Like a sleeping tiger.
When I purchased my 2015 R3T I knew from the moment I mounted the bike it was to be respected. After the first ride I knew it was a bike that needed advanced riding skills.
It takes a special person to ride and appreciate these bikes. That is why we are Captains. You cannot master these bikes. You are a partner with the bike and earn a mutual respect every time you mount it.
The new bikes do not reveal themselves until people buy them. When you first sit on them they do not have that intimidation factor.

Sometimes we take for granted who we are an what we ride.
@BillyIndiana, are you becoming the philosopher?.... Well said bro.

Always appreciate your insight into this madness called life :)

I had a Road Glide and spent the money to make it go fast. Nice bike and comfortable. When a deer run into it and insurance wrote it off I was searching for another bike. I am now on my 3rd Rocket. The 1st crashed and burned, 2nd was totaled by another deer and I just put 30,000 km on my 3rd Rocket. Riding is good therapy.

Just my opinion, but the first time I sat on the new models I was in awe and at the same time fear.
Awe because I could not believe how balanced it was and how lite it felt.
Fear because I knew people would by the bike not knowing the raw power they would have at their fingertips.
I think it is dangerous. Like a sleeping tiger.
When I purchased my 2015 R3T I knew from the moment I mounted the bike it was to be respected. After the first ride I knew it was a bike that needed advanced riding skills.
It takes a special person to ride and appreciate these bikes. That is why we are Captains. You cannot master these bikes. You are a partner with the bike and earn a mutual respect every time you mount it.

Sometimes we take for granted who we are an what we ride.
A bit melodramatic? The thing that threw me about my test ride on a 2004 R3 was not the power, which was so exciting I ordered one on the spot, but the weight, which was 300 lbs more than my then current Bonneville. I quickly learned to respect the weight after nearly going off on a tight sweeper onto a highway (leaving a Harley in the dust). The thing seemed averse to changing direction, like an oil tanker. However, the power delivery on the new model is much smoother, so I suppose that could be deceptive.

I had a Road Glide and spent the money to make it go fast. Nice bike and comfortable. When a deer run into it and insurance wrote it off I was searching for another bike. I am now on my 3rd Rocket. The 1st crashed and burned, 2nd was totaled by another deer and I just put 30,000 km on my 3rd Rocket. Riding is good therapy.

A conversation close to Winnnnipeg, Canada:
Hey Gary, that's a nice trophy, what did you take it with?
How did you get yours John?
Cliff, what do you use?
Rockets!

Your dreaming. Kansas city closed down months ago. Have torn into many a Harley engine to find stamped parts made in China. To each his own but i know better. The only thing Harley does is assembly the bikes here in the states. Parts are cheap China stuff. Love Harleys but American made is just a slogan. Unless you want to spend some money and build a real American motorcycle. Aftermarket support is unreal. Plenty of American companies support the tradition. Bottom line is Screaming Chicken parts are cheap but if you want a real harley build it yourself. I can build a Harley in my sleep. Have one good rep for building fast and solid Harleys.

I didn't realize it, but you're right. Looks like the Kansas City plant is for sale.

Harley-Davidson To Close Kansas City Manufacturing Plant

And according to the following article, "Harleys sold in the U.S. are indeed assembled in one of four plants located in Wisconsin, Missouri and Pennsylvania. But the brakes and clutch are imported from Italy, the engine pistons are made in Austria, the bike suspension comes from Japan, and other electronic components originate in Mexico and China."

Why it doesn't matter if a Harley is 'made in America'

So yeah, things have certainly changed over the years. Toyota Camrys are 78% made in America and Honda Accords are 80%.

Very true. The news R3 tries hard to behave like a normal bike in most situations. This may fool riders into thinking that it is a normal bike. Which it isn't.
It is a bit of a Jekyll and Hide thing, I suppose. Whereas the Rocket's true charakter would be Mr. Hide, not Dr. Jekyll. What I hear you saying is that owners might discover this fact after some time and then decide it was really Dr. Jekyll they liked.
The new rockets have a throttle on the right hand that determines how much Hyde you want at the time. I would never say the bike is to powerful but it just can’t be run WFO all the time. I can cruise all day and never get in over my head.

Back