Who knew a tire change could be such a nightmare.....

Pretty much everyone has made some good points here. I would happily pay $75 to not have to fit tyres myself (even better when it's free) but of course I wouldn't want to have my support and patronage taken for granted. What I don't want to see is the day where I can only buy tyres on order, wait for them to arrive and book in for fitting. Personally I don't mind paying for things I could do myself but really don't think it's worth the trouble. People need work and I don't want to fit tyres (what a pain in the arse it sounds/is) and in any case, convenience is worth paying for.

This whole thread has put this new owner of an R3 in a funk of buyers remorse.
Did I read correctly the "rotors" must be removed to mount the tires? The original OP mentioned nightmares of frozen axle bolts etc. Are these things constructed to obfuscate, frustrate and confound?

After 2 days of ownership I've concluded the OEM barn door windscreen installed by the previous owner must go, and a "Sport screen" put in it's place. The dealership informs me that an entire set of mounting hardware("fittings" the parts catalog calls them) must be purchased($90) along with $295 for a the diminutive Plexiglas shield.
You mean Triumph couldn't design "fittings" that accepted more than ONE 'screen' style?:evil:
Or is the dealership simply trying to profiteer on me and my current newbie naivety?:evil:

The rotors do NOT have to be removed to change the tyre. The OP removed them to clean the rims. It is the first frozen axle bolt that I have heard of.

Triumph windscreens have three components. There is the screen itself, and the brackets which attach to it. They come with the screen and are a part of the price. However, the brackets fit to a "Front End Fixing Kit". This kit will fit all the OEM screens, and will also fit the fog lights - as it is also required for the OEM foglights.

If you buy a ClearView after market screen then you will need the brackets of an OEM screen.

I've said it before and I think most of us on here try to help the local shops as much as possible, but up to %20 is what I personally find reasonable. I think with the dealerships it has more to do with invoking negative emotions we've had with dealers that have ripped us off in the past or been completely incompetent and its left a bad taste that affects all future dealings and with all dealers.
A good example: We recently got back into our house in Mississippi. Turns out our previous tenants had sabotaged our pool liner. We had water getting behind the liner in a heavy fashion. I called the pool company I've used time and again and had faith in. The owner himself dove it 3 times and couldn't find the leaks. He had people pressure testing pipes, resealing lights and stairs, and spending several hours working on it over the course of 3 weeks. We finally drained the pool as a last resort before busting concrete and found the leaks. He was profusely apologetic for missing them during the dives. But here's where the example is. During all that time, I never once asked, "what's this costing me?" I knew he'd charge a fair price for fair work. At the same time our salt water cell had gone out so I asked him what his price was for it (a 3 year part, that usually lasts 5). His price was $500. I could get the exact same one for $400 on Amazon. A %25 increase. I bought from him. Turns out 3 weeks of work (probably 100 man hours) and a fixed pool cost me $1100 including the cell. He didn't charge for the dives, the pressure tests, etc. just the actual things that resulted in a fix. That is exactly why I'll support my local small shop rather than Amazon when I can. Second of my long winded points is, if this had been a similar job with the New Orleans triumph shop, my reaction would've been completely different as my dealings with them in the past have proven them to be lyers, cheaters, incompetent and rip offs and I will never again do anything extra to support them or give them the benefit of the doubt!

I've said it before and I think most of us on here try to help the local shops as much as possible, but up to %20 is what I personally find reasonable. I think with the dealerships it has more to do with invoking negative emotions we've had with dealers that have ripped us off in the past or been completely incompetent and its left a bad taste that affects all future dealings and with all dealers.
A good example: We recently got back into our house in Mississippi. Turns out our previous tenants had sabotaged our pool liner. We had water getting behind the liner in a heavy fashion. I called the pool company I've used time and again and had faith in. The owner himself dove it 3 times and couldn't find the leaks. He had people pressure testing pipes, resealing lights and stairs, and spending several hours working on it over the course of 3 weeks. We finally drained the pool as a last resort before busting concrete and found the leaks. He was profusely apologetic for missing them during the dives. But here's where the example is. During all that time, I never once asked, "what's this costing me?" I knew he'd charge a fair price for fair work. At the same time our salt water cell had gone out so I asked him what his price was for it (a 3 year part, that usually lasts 5). His price was $500. I could get the exact same one for $400 on Amazon. A %25 increase. I bought from him. Turns out 3 weeks of work (probably 100 man hours) and a fixed pool cost me $1100 including the cell. He didn't charge for the dives, the pressure tests, etc. just the actual things that resulted in a fix. That is exactly why I'll support my local small shop rather than Amazon when I can. Second of my long winded points is, if this had been a similar job with the New Orleans triumph shop, my reaction would've been completely different as my dealings with them in the past have proven them to be lyers, cheaters, incompetent and rip offs and I will never again do anything extra to support them or give them the benefit of the doubt!
Glad to know that I'm not the only one to feel that way about the Triumph shop in New Orleans.

The rotors do NOT have to be removed to change the tyre. The OP removed them to clean the rims. It is the first frozen axle bolt that I have heard of.

Triumph windscreens have three components. There is the screen itself, and the brackets which attach to it. They come with the screen and are a part of the price. However, the brackets fit to a "Front End Fixing Kit". This kit will fit all the OEM screens, and will also fit the fog lights - as it is also required for the OEM foglights.

If you buy a ClearView after market screen then you will need the brackets of an OEM screen.

So the "Fitting Kit" is the current hardware that clamps around the forks; correct?
And the "Shield" should come with a chrome metal base that bolts directly to the current "Fitting Kit"?
Fitting_Kit_for_shield_R3.jpg

Fitting_Kit_R3_shield_3.jpg

The Fixing Kit clamps to the forks, and the screen is attached to the Fixing Kit. Correct.

The Fixing Kit clamps to the forks, and the screen is attached to the Fixing Kit. Correct.

Thank you!
For some reason the dealership was advising me I need buy BOTH screen and Fitting kit. Maybe special ordered accessories have a no return/refund policy they're trying to profiteer on. They promised me 15% off; but what is approximately $50 saved over $90 needlessly spent?

Thanks for reminding me why i take my bike to the shop to replace my tires, sorry about your troubles!

I'm really glad I have a "good" dealer five miles from my house!

I also support local gun shops, and never buy firearms on-line.

I want both to be in business when I need or want something.

Back