Whirring noise

Haha yeh I know but we do occasionally get snow and really cold but nothing like Buffalo. Honestly I ride all year.

Yeah, we do too, but we're a little goofy.
33802_449785767705_572532705_5036681_1946678_n.jpg

All you need is the bearing and the front cover gasket (even just RTV silicone).

You drain the coolant so you can reuse it, pull the radiator and water pump off, pull the front cover, take the pressure plate off and swap out the bearing, all as per the manual.

If you put the front wheel up higher than the rear, the oil should practically all stay put so you don't need to drain it and replace it etc.

If it is the bearing, the noise will get worse as the bearing condition worsens, might take a while, might be overnight.
All you need is the bearing and the front cover gasket (even just RTV silicone).

You drain the coolant so you can reuse it, pull the radiator and water pump off, pull the front cover, take the pressure plate off and swap out the bearing, all as per the manual.

If you put the front wheel up higher than the rear, the oil should practically all stay put so you don't need to drain it and replace it etc.

If it is the bearing, the noise will get worse as the bearing condition worsens, might take a while, might be overnight.
Is it the small needle bearing behind the pressure plate?

Is it the small needle bearing behind the pressure plate?

Yours will be a ball bearing, but yes it sits into the pressure plate from the inside. You have to undo the 5 pressure plate spring bolts and lift out the plate to get the bearing out

Progressive and diagonal loosening/tightening method applies to all multi fixing engine parts,
E.g. cam cover, cam ladder, cylinder head, crank main bearing ladder, con rod caps, sump, clutch cover, torsional damper cover, alternator cover, clutch pressure plate, etc

Ime the manufacturer will always specify the exact sequence for ladders, cyl head.

Ime the most critical thing for tightening up pressure plate bolts is to do them as above and to EXACTLY the right torque spec.

An uneven-ness here can mean a tight spot for the pressure plate bearing, which will decrease the bearing service life.

If @Tbone noise is indeed the bearing, there's a good chance it was caused by unevenness in the pressure plate fixings. Springs are included in this.

@R-III-R Turbo and @Claviger since the noise started I have had to adjust clutch cable out farther and farther to get it to engage fully. Now I am at the end of adjustment on both ends and the noise has gotten worse.

Last edited:
The detent spring instructions from the link in my signature will get you in and out of there pretty quickly.

Back